Kwantlen Polytechnic University
KPU offers all learners opportunities to achieve success in a diverse range of programs that blend theory and practice, critical understanding, and social and ethical awareness necessary for good citizenship and rewarding careers. KPU strives to implement initiatives that will attract, support, engage, and retain KPU’s people and create an environment where all employees see themselves as contributing to student learning.
JOB OVERVIEW: ACCOUNTANT – Competition ID: 2474
Reporting to Manager, Financial Reporting, this position is responsible for supporting the development, implementation, maintenance, evaluation and improvement of financial reporting processes, capital, and financial systems functions in accordance with KPU policies, collective agreements and statutory requirements. The Accountant manages and coordinates internal and external reporting and special projects in support of KPU’s strategic initiatives. The position works with directors and managers across the university to ensure data quality of all reporting and identifies and executes process improvements as required to meet both internal and external reporting requirements. This role is responsible for the staff performing planning, budgeting, monitoring and financial reporting functions to support Faculties/divisions as well as University-wide analysis.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Chartered Professional Accountant designation in good standing is required, however candidates working towards the CPA designation or candidates with an equivalent combination of education, training and work experience will be considered.
- Minimum of two years progressive experience including supervisory and/or managerial experience, as well as a demonstrated ability of effective team management and change implementation, resulting in improvements to service quality, staff productivity and systems efficiency.
- Minimum of three years relevant experience in financial budgeting, program costing, budget/financial modeling, reporting, administration and assurance, and working with integrated computerized systems.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with a strong focus on customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels.
- Proven ability to exercise tact and diplomacy, confidentiality, and conflict resolution skills.
- Have an understanding of and respect for the diverse values and culture of a university environment.
- Strong knowledge of accounting procedures and financial reporting practices.
- Demonstrated ability to summarize and present complex financial data in an organized and concise manner.
- Strong computer skills, proficiency with spreadsheet programs, and demonstrated ability to use various financial software packages and databases to perform financial analyses and develop reports.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is required.
click here for a more detailed job description
Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box?
We at KPU understand that experiences and qualifications may look differently for everyone and, if this job description is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply.
How to Apply:
To apply for this role please visit our Career Centre: https://www.kpu.ca/hr/career-opportunities
Note to Applicants:
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from equity deserving groups and diverse experiences including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2S/LGBTQIA+ community.
If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.