Kwantlen Polytechnic University
Dept.: Financial Services
Working Title: Accounting Analyst (544)
Job Class: 14
Provide analysis, reporting, guidance, and support to the Kwantlen Polytechnic University community, the Kwantlen Polytechnic University Foundation, and external agencies on budgetary, financial and enrolment information.
JOB DUTIES AND TASKS:
- Provide analysis, guidance, training and support to the University community and University Foundation in the preparation, development and maintenance of their financial, budget, and enrolment records:
- Process, analyze, and monitor budget, financial and enrolment activity.
- Provide research, technical support and assistance to Financial Services management on a wide variety of budget, capital, financial and enrolment issues, and in the development of the annual budget and other reports.
- Provide analysis, support and enrolment or budgetary advice for ad hoc queries.
- Develop and prepare financial reports for management, other employees, governing boards, and external agencies as required.
- Prepare financial and enrolment statements including working papers and schedules as required by management, auditors and other external agencies.
- Provide research, technical support, direction, training and guidance to University managers and other employees on a variety of accounting, budget, capital, financial and enrolment matters.
- Provide analysis, guidance, training and support to the University community and the University Foundation in the development and maintenance of reporting systems:
- Develop, evaluate and maintain systems to collect, analyze, and compare financial, enrolment, and other non-financial data.
- Develop and maintain general ledger structure and systems to provide the necessary reports to enable University managers and supervisors to monitor financial budgets, and revenues and expenditures for their areas and to support the preparation of required statements and reports.
- Provide analysis and technical support in the development, implementation, and maintenance of financial reporting systems.
- Provide training and assistance on finance, budget and enrolment to the University community in the understanding and usage of processes and systems.
- Provide analysis and support to the University community and the University Foundation in the development and maintenance of a variety of control systems:
- Assist in the development of adequate control systems.
- Assist and support in the implementation and maintenance of improved control systems.
- Other related duties:
- Carry out projects, which may be confidential, on any part of University and University Foundation operations.
- Liaise with University management, Ministries, agency officials, and external auditors.
- Identify and research reasons for variances from budget for University management and other employees.
- Monitor, analyze, and reconcile accounts and other information.
- Maintain, monitor and report on revenue generating and special purpose activities.
- Monitor transactions for compliance with Canada Revenue Agency guidelines, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and accepted University business practices.
- Contributes to and promotes a safe, respectful, and inclusive work environment by adhering to University policies and procedures and completing mandatory training programs.
Reports to Financial Services manager.
Provides guidance and direction to Financial Services staff and other University employees.
PHYSICAL ASSETS/INFORMATION MANAGEMENT:
Develops and maintains accounting and statistical data.
Prepare financial and enrolment statements including working papers and schedules as required by management, auditors and other external agencies. Provide research and technical support to the Financial Services management in the development of the annual budget, other reports and reporting systems. Provide support, advice and analysis including identification and explanation of budget variances to University management and other employees. Monitor, analyze, and reconcile accounts and other information.
The above statement reflects the general details considered necessary to describe and evaluate the principal functions of the job identified, and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
EMPLOYER REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Completion of post-secondary courses equivalent to to a bachelor’s degree in accounting at a recognized institution plus three years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated proficient use and comprehensive knowledge of common PC applications software such as spreadsheet, database, word processing, collaboration (e.g. SharePoint) and presentation.
- Demonstrated progressive experience in examining financial information and preparing various analyses for University staff at all levels.
- Progressive experience in budget development, costing preparation, financial planning and analysis, and budget monitoring, preferably in a government setting.
- Working knowledge of relevant accounting principles and practices, including current reporting, costing procedures and internal controls.
- Knowledge and progressive experience with an ability to evaluate financial systems and administrative processes and procedures (with emphasis on budgeting and finance) in order to carry out, or assist with, the design, testing and implementation of new or revised financial systems, policies and procedures.
- Experience working with integrated computer accounting systems and computerized data processing systems.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment to work and complete assignments with minimal supervision.
- Proven ability to work under pressure, establish priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Proven strong analytical skills with ability to recognize, analyze and interpret various data to develop logical solutions and resolve problems.
- Proven ability to communicate courteously and effectively in English, verbally and in writing, with all levels of the University community, external agencies and the general public.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop, establish, and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of the University community, external agencies and the general public.
- Proven ability to apply attention to detail and accuracy when compiling and preparing financial and other information.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise tact and discretion when exchanging information.
- Demonstrated ability to compose a variety of correspondence and reports related to the work performed.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and deliver effective presentations.
How to Apply:
To apply for this role please visit our Career Centre: https://www.kpu.ca/hr/career-opportunities