Administrative Assistant IV
Requisition ID: 38905
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Administrative Assistant positions (2 vacancies) provide an extensive range of confidential and sensitive administrative support, research, and advisory assistance to either the Director of Business Planning and Project Support (BPPS), BPPS senior leadership team or the Director of Intergovernmental Relations and Strategic Partnerships (IGR) and Director of Indigenous Relations (IR), and is part of the City Manager’s Office Administrative Team. Your adaptability, diplomacy, resourcefulness, good judgment and ability to multitask will allow you to confidently handle the daily responsibilities and duties of this diverse senior level position.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinate and maintain the Director’s calendar using judgement to prioritize meeting, event and speaking engagement requests with a view to optimize the Director’s available time. This includes planning, organizing and scheduling meetings/events; screening requests for meetings/events; anticipating and working with senior city staff to resolve scheduling conflicts to ensure high priority meetings/events are accommodated in a timely fashion.
- Provide administrative support to team members, which includes booking large meetings for Associate Directors and urgent meetings for staff working on high profile projects.
- Works closely with other on-site administrative assistant to maintain the office space including: coordinating mail/courier delivery; confidential shredding pickups; service calls for repair of office equipment; replenish office supplies; order catering for meetings; first aid and worksite inspections.
- Prepares a variety of sensitive and confidential material including correspondence and presentations; locates and assembles information for various reports and briefings. Compiles and prepares agenda and supporting material; attends and minutes meetings as needed.
- As the Success Factor Champion for the department, responsible for HR functions including: creating and updating position descriptions; Success Factor requisition and VMC approvals; schedules interviews; prepares employment offer letters; creates eSAF and eCAF; completion of all HR onboarding processes for new hires and transfers including safety and first day new staff orientations.
- As the Travel Arranger for the Office, coordinates travel and accommodation arrangements for the Director; submits pre-travel estimates and post-travel Expense Reports, ensuring travel policies are adhered to.
- As the P2P Champion, creates project shopping carts; processes invoices for payment; completes SAP transactional processing including bi weekly time entry; orders office supplies; reconciles monthly PCard statements for all staff cardholders; processes JVs as required.
- As the DRC, provides record management assistant to staff, creates and maintains the electronic (Vandocs) and paper file systems.
- This position provides back up to the Administrative Assistant IV and Adminstrative III as required.
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Diploma in Office Administration and four to six years experience in a progressively senior administrative role in municipal government or an equivalent combination of education or experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to exercise considerable independence and judgement with minimal supervision.
- Ability to identify and understand the sensitive, confidential and/or controversial nature of all types of materials and handle with appropriate discretion.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects and including the ability to change priorities.
- Exceptional organizational skills including a high level of attention to detail.
- Excellent listening, oral and written communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Teams, with advanced knowledge of Outlook including the use of follow up flags, rules and alerts.
- Exposure to SAP transactional processing and VanDocs is highly desirable.
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Office of the City Manager (1010)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: August, 2023
Position End Date: August, 2024
Salary Information: Pay Grade RNG-040: $59,326 to $74,158 per annum
Application Close: July 9, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous peoples, people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+ persons including all genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.