Administrative Services Coordinator
Surrey Libraries is an innovative and award-winning library system that provides a wide range of materials, programs and information services to the community. We are a growing library system, recognized for our ability to respond creatively to our active and diverse community through outreach to community groups and partnerships with agencies. In addition to our collections, progressive use of technology and a wide variety of online resources, we specialize in genealogical materials and multilingual collections in 16 languages. Our 10 branches, together with our website www.surreylibraries.ca serves a population of more than 575,000, offering a wide range of physical and digital items, electronic resources, programs and services to people of all ages and interests.
There is an opening for the position of Administrative Services Coordinator at Library Administration. This is a full-time (35 hours per week) position, performing a variety of administrative duties. Although the responsibilities are shared between 2 coordinators, this position focuses more on the human resources related work- experience in this capacity is therefore preferred.
Major Responsibilities and Duties
- Assists with recruitment activities related to postings, assessments, interviews, checks, evaluations and communications. Performs administrative tasks pertaining to staff onboarding and offboarding processes.
- Coordinates and records registration for staff development opportunities.
- Maintains files on personnel, labour relations and other strategic organization matters, as well as general library operations. Manages physical and digital records in accordance with the City’s Corporate File Plan and other Records Management protocols.
- Supervises the Administrative Services Assistant and coordinates the general activities of the Administration office, ensuring continual coverage is provided, and timekeeping is completed.
- Oversees the scheduling of casual staff.
- Coordinates Staff recognition program.
- Acts as liaison between Library staff and City Payroll and Human Resources staff on compensation and benefits matters. Ensures appropriate staff are trained in timesheet entry and necessary information is filed.
- Maintains and updates Library manuals, forms, statistics, and documents. Processes receipts, deposits, expense requisitions and claims, reconciles credit card transactions, bank accounts and verifies branch revenues received. Coordinates petty cash funds.
- Communicates with and maintains an effective working relationship with departments of the City of Surrey, other libraries, agencies and organizations, and the public.
- Supports the Chief Librarian and management personnel by preparing memos, agendas, minutes, correspondences, reports, statistics and other documents.
- Supports the Library Board by preparing agendas, scheduling meetings, recording meeting minutes, maintaining calendar of events, and communicating correspondences.
- Performs other related duties.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills
- Completion of a minimum one year college level program in administration or business, plus a minimum of 3 years’ administrative work experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Supervisory experience preferred.
- Minimum keyboarding speed of 50 words per minute.
- Knowledge of the Library’s organization, policies and procedures. Ability to make decisions in accordance with applicable policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, and high proficiency with a variety of computer applications: MS Office including SharePoint, Visio, OneNote; Experience in Peoplesoft is an asset.
- Knowledge of accounting and records management.
- Ability to exercise discretion and diplomacy in dealing with confidential matters.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to transcribe minutes of meetings, proofread documents and have a high attention to detail.
- Ability to supervise clerical staff and provide direction.
- Ability to set priorities and perform all duties with minimum supervision.
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly, handle multiple assignments and work under time deadlines.
How to apply
If you are interested in this opportunity, send your cover letter and resume with the subject “Administrative Services Coordinator” to SPLEmployment@surrey.ca. The deadline is Thursday, July 20, 2023.
We thank in advance all applicants who apply and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.