The City of Medicine Hat
Assistant Deputy Fire Chief
City of Medicine Hat
Competition Number 23160A
Jul 12, 2023
Now Hiring Assistant Deputy Chief – Fire
In Medicine Hat, you’ll enjoy a perfectly sized city and an inviting community with an enviable quality of life. And here at the City of Medicine Hat, you’ll experience exciting challenges as one of the doers doing great things for your hometown.
The Assistant Deputy Chief is responsible for planning, managing and/or providing support of policies and processes within Fire Services, including cooperating, and supporting other emergency services. In this position you will be assisting the Deputy Chief & Fire Chief in the development, implementation, and monitoring of departmental budgets, policies, and procedures. This position leads training, logistics, Health Safety & Environment (HSE), and recruitment.
Our ideal candidate:
- You have comprehensive knowledge of fire strategies, tactics, and equipment.
- You have demonstrated experience leading, coaching and developing others.
- You have excellent communications skills, demonstrated both orally and written.
- You can promote strategic leadership, influence and effect change in a unionized environment.
- You have high standard of ethics, professional conduct, integrity, discretion, and can handle the pressure of public scrutiny.
- You establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, across the organization, with outside agencies and the public.
- You are proficient in the use of Microsoft and other current office software in a network environment and can become competent with City specific software programs.
- Successful completion of courses/training in administration, fire service operations, fire prevention management, and fire investigation from an accredited institution, preferably resulting in a bachelor’s degree.
- Ten (10) years progressively responsible firefighting experience with three (3) years supervisory experience.
- Certification in NFPA 1001 Level 2, NFPA 1021 Level 1.
- Certification in NFPA 1031, 1033, 1041 is an asset.
- An equivalent combination of management approved training and experience may be considered.
This position has been identified as Safety Sensitive and requires the completion of a satisfactory pre-employment drug screen.
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Medicine Hat piloted 10 water bottle fill stations on fire hydrants throughout the City this summer with success. Residents and visitors enjoy sunny hot summers with many outdoor activities and now have access to clean drinking water to stay cool and hydrated while doing so. Each water bottle fill station is designed so that the stream of water is protected to only allow freefall into a water bottle, cup, or bowl. THAT’S INNOVATION, MEDICINE HAT STYLE!
Apply online at: https://medicinehat.prevueaps.ca/jobs/