City of Surrey
Automotive/Heavy Duty/Commercial Mechanic
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation.
City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward.
Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey
Recently awarded by the American Public Works Association and a Top BC Employer, we are looking to add to our dedicated team, a Automotive/Heavy Duty/Commercial Mechanic. Reporting to the Fleet & Garage Manager in Engineering Operations, the incumbent will perform skilled trade tasks involving considerable physical effort and active performance in maintaining, servicing and repairing a wide variety of multiple fuel type vehicles and equipment.
- Perform a variety of tasks including mechanical overhaul, maintenance, servicing, and repair on a wide variety of equipment from light duty automotive vehicles, dump trucks, excavators, snowplows, salt spreaders etc.
- Inspect and troubleshoot equipment with the use of diagnostic equipment to determine cause of malfunction.
- Carries out repairs and servicing of vehicles and equipment including engines, transmissions, differentials, hydraulic components, brakes, suspension, and winter maintenance items.
- Fabrication of components, welding, and repairs to components
- Interacts directly with internal customers and crew members.
- Grade 12 or GED.
- Red seal Automotive/Commercial Transport and/or Heavy-Duty Mechanic Trades Qualification from technical/trades college.
- A minimum of 6 months’ experience and on the job training as a qualified Trades mechanic.
- Preferred – valid BC Class 3 Driver’s license with air brake endorsement or out of province equivalent and a safe driving record.
- Demonstrated experience performing repairs on commercial vehicles, heavy duty equipment (e.g., medium duty and heavy-duty trucks, backhoes, excavators).
- Demonstrated experience communicating and interacting directly with customers regarding mechanical matters; and
- Commercial Vehicle Inspection Program certification is an asset.
- This position involves completion of a Police Information Check.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Communicates effectively
- Understands and effectively carries out oral and written instructions.
- Establishes effective working relationships with crew members and others.
- Plans and organizes work projects.
- Maintains records, prepares reports and provides input for estimates of material, equipment and cost.
- Performs skilled mechanical tasks to diagnose, overhaul, repair, maintain and adjust equipment and vehicles.
- Operates a variety of vehicles and equipment and working knowledge of same.
- Experience in gas, MIG and stick electric welding tasks.
- Interprets and works from blueprints, drawings and plans.
- Considerable knowledge of methods, techniques, and equipment used in automotive, commercial transport and heavy duty mechanical trades.
- Knowledge of applicable safety regulations.
- Physical coordination necessary to carry out the duties of the position.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
- Note: This position is for the afternoon shift. The hours of work are from 3:30pm to 11:30pm, Monday to Friday.
This posting closes on June 22, 2023