Automotive Service Worker, Police (Fleet and Manufacturing Services)
Requisition ID: 38840
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Automotive Service Worker (Police) requires the incumbent to perform semi-skilled servicing and repair work on a variety of Police and City fleet including equipment.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The Automotive Service Worker performs servicing, minor repairs, and fueling either in the shop or in the field as instructed. Other duties include cleaning of the shop, vehicles, equipment and car wash as directed and all other related duties. Fleet and Manufacturing Services personnel are responsible for entering real time data into Fleet and Manufacturing Services’ electronic fleet management system to track fleet maintenance. After initial instructions, oral or written, from the supervisor, work is to be performed in accordance with prescribed schedules and subject to a quality review and conformance to established standards.
The successful candidates must be able to work an 8-hour shift, which includes a paid meal break during which time the employee shall remain on duty. The current hours of work are from 6:30 AM to 2:30 PM, Thursday to Monday. This position requires the flexibility to work shift work, including weekend days, afternoons and graveyard shifts. The successful candidates may be required to adjust shifts and locations as operationally required.
Enhanced security clearance is a requirement of this position. Functional and or physical assessment related to the bona fide position requirements may be required.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 10 is required.
- Completion of a recognized pre-apprenticeship training course in a mechanic related trade would be an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Some knowledge of the hazards and proper safety aspects of the vehicle maintenance and servicing.
- Thorough knowledge of braking systems.
- Some knowledge in the use and care of the tools, materials, and equipment used in vehicle maintenance and servicing.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to work well in a team environment.
- Agility, muscular coordination and sufficient strength to permit the performance of heavy manual labour.
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- Enhanced security clearance is a requirement of this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a Satisfactory National Safety Code driving record
- 5 years accumulation of no more than 9 points, not in excess of 3 points per single year
- 3 years accumulation of no more than 1 preventable work related driving or equipment operating accident in any single year
- Employees who do not demonstrate a satisfactory driving record will have their application reviewed in more detail
- Candidates must attach the following to be considered:
- Commercial Driving Records Abstract (N Print) for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting)
- Insurance and Claims History for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting)
As part of our recruitment process to determine the successful candidate, you will be screened and ranked based on the following:
- Job Application
- ICBC Documents
- Employee and Branch Records
- Attendance Report
- Supervisors Assessment
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 N/Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: August 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-325: $31.84 per hour
Application Close: June 29, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous peoples, people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+ persons including all genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.