Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Building Service Worker – Recreation Maintenance
DEPARTMENT: Parks & Recreation
NO. OF POSITIONS: Four
UNION: CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK: See Below*
SALARY: $24.39 – $28.54 per hour (2021 rates) + 12% in lieu of vacation, statutory holidays & benefits
Located on the land of the Halq’eméylem-speaking peoples. New Westminster continues to be growing and innovative city within Metro Vancouver. Awarded a gold award in excellence for policy planning with its Seven Bold Steps to address climate change. Our new təməsew̓txʷ Aquatic and Community Centre was planned to embody this vision and gained recognition as the first aquatic centre in Canada to achieve the Canadian Green Building Council Zero Carbon Building standard. The City of New Westminster is seeking colleagues to support the growth of our communities services and livability.
We are seeking energetic and enthusiastic Building Service Workers to join our team as we prepare for the opening of our new facility. Your duties will include cleaning, janitorial, and custodial tasks as well as minor repairs to building and equipment.
WHY YOU SHOULD APPLY:
- You enjoy working in a team oriented environment, where you gain problem solving and customer services skills
- Join a team that has supports learning and growth, as we want to invest in your development
- Want to make a difference in the community
- Be part of an inclusive, diverse and rewarding workplace.
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Building Service Worker Certificate and some related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- WHMIS certificate and working knowledge of the materials, methods, tools and equipment used in janitorial work
- Must be able to successfully pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check.
- Detail oriented and conscientious about quality in your work
- Self-motivated and proactive; can work with minimal supervision
- Knowledgeable in and able to perform routine and minor building repair and maintenance tasks
- Experience with performing cleaning and janitorial tasks before, during and after facility events
- Skilled in the use and care of cleaning and maintenance equipment
- Ability to lift and move furniture and equipment and perform set ups and take downs for program activities
- The ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Flexible and available to assist with immediate and emergent coverage requirements
- Manually lift and carry materials, goods and equipment under 23 kg
- The ideal candidate must be available to work a variety of shifts including morning, afternoons, evenings, weekdays, weekends and statutory holiday shifts
Apply by sending your cover letter and resume in one document at www.newwestcity.ca/employment by July 14, 2023
To support a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community; women, Indigenous Peoples, racialized individuals, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), persons with disabilities, and others who may contribute to diversity of our workforce, are encouraged to express their interest.
New Westminster is on the unceded and unsurrendered land of the Halq’eméylem-speaking peoples.
It is acknowledged by the City that colonialism has made invisible their histories and connections to the land.
We are learning and building relationships with the people whose lands we are on.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.