The City of Richmond is a diverse and dynamic community in pursuit of our vision
to be the most appealing, livable and well-managed community in Canada.
People l Excellence l Leadership l Team l Innovation
Imagine a career with the City of Richmond, a dynamic environment for growth and continuous improvement, fostered by our collective strengths and creativity. We are a vibrant, diverse cosmopolitan city, supported by a strong economy and recognized as leaders in innovation and service delivery excellence. The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community.
The Business Analyst is the primarily interface and link from Information Technology to the business units. This role analyzes business processes and leads the business in the development of information technology solutions to assist in solving the City’s Community Safety and Law and Legislative Services business needs and solutions. The Business Analyst provides production support, assesses business requirements, in coordination with Systems Analyst and Solution Architect translates requirement to technical specifications, and acts as project manager in the development or re-engineering of information systems and the implementation of information technology. This position reports to the Manager, Business & Enterprise Systems, Information Technology.
Examples of key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide a leadership role in the future development of technology in the Community Safety and Law and Legislative Services divisions by participating in development of business cases, taking business unit lead role in needs identification, defining requirements, assisting with development of work break down structure and project plans and system implementation.
- Works as the primary source of contact, responds to, investigates, prioritizes and manages the resolution of integrated administrative, technical, or operational problems within Community Safety and Law and Legislative Services divisions using business analysis standard methodologies and procedures, interpreting or adapting as situations and problems arise.
- Leads in the development of the 3 year technology plan for City’s Community Safety and Law and Legislative Services divisions including: ERP roadmap, industry competitive analysis, departmental operational/tech requirements, current trends in municipal or industry practices and fit/gap analysis of City’s IT systems.
- Provides technical and business analysis advice for City’s Community Safety and Law and Legislative Services divisions in corporate direction and setting; adaptation and integration with the City’s ERPs, corporate applications or elements of the systems.
- Portfolio management of City’s Community Safety and Law and Legislative Services divisions with IT related capital and minor projects, support cases, daily or regular maintenance, and operational readiness.
- Acts as a technical and business consultant to the business units by providing detailed advice on technical solutions and/or changes to business methods/processes.
- Provides a leadership role with applications, software system vendors, internal and external user groups and consultants in coordination with the IT Division to exchange information and to resolve problems.
- Work closely with Community Safety and Law and Legislative Services managers to ensure business processes and systems configuration are aligned with corporate strategies and are compliant with rules and regulations.
- Coordinate IT processes, and manages the application portfolio for Planning and Development such as Tempest and Amanda ERP to ensure process and data integration
- Lead the systems analysts team to provide production support to the application portfolio supporting the Planning and Development divisions.
- Prioritize IT support and development schedule related to the City’s Planning and Development needs.
- Provide production support and development status update to management.
- Perform fit/gap analysis on technical development items. Develop customization functional, technical design and user guide
- Lead project team, functional and technical SMEs, to implement minor and major release software upgrades.
- Work with DBA and Infrastructure sections to develop systems maintenance schedule and application security model.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of application development life cycle, systems administration, system integration, development of web-based applications as well as development and deployment of web services and APIs. Working knowledge and experience in implementing and administering a off-the-shelf ERP or Line-of-Business (LOB) applications.
- Ability to conduct workshops, collect user requirements and create a business requirements document.
- Ability to translate business requirements into technical specifications and configuration requirements.
- Working knowledge and experience in Cloud Technologies
- Working knowledge of SQL, PL/SQL and/or NoSQL, Oracle and Microsoft SQL programming Working knowledge in the configuration, and understanding of Workforce Management applications such as Telestaff and Parking ticketing system (i.e. Gtechna).
- Ability to translate business requirements into technical specifications, API/service specification, and configuration requirements.
- Working knowledge and understanding of relational databases, queries, and ad-hoc reporting
- Demonstrated ability to manage large projects involving the development and implementation of systems and information technologies.
- Experience in leading software application upgrades, and new software/product implementation. Project management experience in ERP systems implementation.
- Working knowledge and understanding of accounting concepts. Good understanding of Financial and supply chain business processes. Ability to effectively communicate, oral and written technical information in a user-friendly manner.
- Ability to research, analyze, assess, and document information from a variety of sources; identify priorities and resources, and propose alternative business processes.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts and to provide technical advice and assistance on matters related to the work.
- Ability to work effectively individually and as part of a team, and work under minimal supervision.
- Ability to effectively mentor others, as well as to lead and/or contribute to team-based technical projects.
- Ability to successfully pass a Police Information Check.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Completion of a two-year college diploma in Information Technology or Computer Systems, plus a minimum of five (5) to eight (8) years related professional experience in an integrated information technology environment. An equivalent combination of education, experience and training may be considered.
- Experience working in a municipal government environment is preferred.
- Project management or International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA) certification is preferred.
This position is eligible for the City’s hybrid work policy.
The City of Richmond offers a competitive pay and benefits program, attractive incentives and a compressed work day schedule. If you are looking to make a difference, and to share our vision “to be the most appealing, livable, and well-managed community in Canada,” please submit your application by following the instructions below:
The City of Richmond uses an applicant tracking system for candidates wishing to view and apply for available career opportunities. For further information regarding position details and to apply, please visit our website at https://tre.tbe.taleo.net/tre01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=TRQS8M&cws=37&rid=1597
We are accepting applications until August 7, 2023
The City of Richmond is an inclusive employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. If you are unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest. No telephone inquiries please.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.