Business Analyst II
Position Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Human Resources and Corporate Services
Employee Group: Teamsters Local 31
Location: 4515 Central Boulevard, Burnaby
Salary Range/ Wage Rate: PG 30 $3,526.40 – $4,175.28 bi-weekly
Our Human Resources and Corporate Services Department is seeking a Business Analyst II who will work on the design and development team. We are seeking someone who will primarily contribute to providing technical guidance to solving complex systems, working with business clients, providing technical support, and guiding junior staff. Part of the role will be working as a Project Manager and Business Analyst.
You are: Analytical, collaborative, and have a proven record of delivering strategic solutions to business applications. You are curious and stay abreast of the latest tools, technologies, and are conscious about building secure code. You can deliver against pre-set deadlines, interact with professionals from many disciplines and gather requirements from them. You are able to work with senior management, facilitating meetings, providing IT information to them they need to know and outlining expectations.
- Coordinates strategic and tactical business and business systems planning for client departments; defines the process and criteria; provides specialized advice on planning activities using internal and external resources; evaluates plans and recommends changes; coordinates major projects to effect the re-design of business processes.
- Assists a superior in workload planning, project scheduling and the development of corporate information technology plans including operational standards; negotiates contract terms with suppliers; provides post-system implementation reviews in an audit capacity, as required.
- Assesses business plans or coordinates business systems planning, in client departments; provides advice regarding MVRD technologies; identifies priorities, resource requirements and opportunities for application of technologies; gathers and analyzes data; documents current and alternative business processes using CASE tools; develops disaster recovery plans.
- Acts as project manager and developer regarding the development of information systems and implementation of technology; documents requirements, prepares business cases, develops code, conducts feasibility studies, and analyzes cost effectiveness; prepares requests for proposals, selects suppliers and monitors post-implementation system performance.
- Acts as project manager and developer in the development and implementation of large-scale management systems for utilities; documents requirements; prepares business cases and requests for proposals; selects consultants, negotiates contract terms and monitors progress; performs workload planning and scheduling for the development, implementation and maintenance of the systems; liaises across the utility and with consultants to improve management system tools and work processes; coordinates and advises on utility financial management and business planning.
- Acts as a liaison between client departments and contractors; assists in the resolution of service problems and issues; provides advice and guidance to other staff engaged on projects of less complexity.
- Prepares reports and makes presentations related to the work performed; conducts product and market research to maintain up-to-date knowledge of developments in the information technology industry.
- Performs related duties as required.
To be successful, you have:
- University graduation at the Bachelor’s level in computer sciences, business or engineering plus considerable related experience in business/management systems analysis, systems planning, and/or in an engineering environment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Thorough knowledge of business and business systems planning principles, development methods and standards.
- Thorough knowledge of problem definition and analysis related to business processes and systems planning including DevOps.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of development, administrative management and project management.
- Considerable knowledge of information technology components, processes and developments related to the work performed. Fundamental knowledge of a variety of programming and database languages such as Java, Python, C, C++, C#, PHP, R, Swift and SQL; knowledge of enterprise systems such as EAM, Aveva PI System, and DevOps; working knowledge of operational technologies/industrial control systems such as SCADA.
- Considerable knowledge of the functions of departments served and their requirements in information technology, including keeping up to date on the newest technology trends.
- Considerable knowledge of departmental policies and procedures.
- Ability to document, analyze and assess a variety of information, identify priorities and resources and propose alternative business processes.
- Ability to act as project manager and developer regarding the development and implementation of systems.
- Ability to assist in the development of corporate standards and to perform other administrative tasks related to the work performed.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal contacts and to provide advice and assistance on matters related to the work.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing and to present proposals in both technical and non-technical language.
- Ability to perform assigned duties under minimum supervision.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and being representative of the region we serve. We invite all qualified candidates to apply including Indigenous People, visible minorities, immigrants, 2SLGBTQI+, all genders and persons with disabilities.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/to our Careers page where you can submit your application by June 27, 2023.