Business Development Officer
Naturally, Campbell River – Located on Vancouver Island, surrounded by the ocean and majestic mountains, the City of Campbell River offers a rare combination of a welcoming small-town feel with large-city amenities. From summer markets and street events to an active arts and culture community to year-round, world-class recreational opportunities, the Campbell River lifestyle is unparalleled. We are a 45-minute drive from the winter and summer activities of Mount Washington, and just minutes from more than 100 km of all levels of mountain biking and hiking trails, plus easy access to the ocean, rivers and lakes for sports fishing, kayaking, paddle boarding and whale watching.
The role – Reporting to the Economic Development Manager, the Business Development Officer will oversee the City’s community Business Development Program and develop and implement strategies and programs that support business attraction, retention, and expansion in the community. The incumbent will conduct extensive economic research and analysis and undertake activities that develop and foster partnerships that contribute to the economic development of the City and promotes Campbell River as a location of choice for investment, enterprise, and growth.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Degree in business administration, economic development, commerce, public administration, economics, marketing or other related discipline from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Training or courses that demonstrate ongoing professional development in the economic and business development field.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 Driver’s License, and produce and maintain a clean driver’s abstract, as per City policy.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ progressively responsible experience in a similar role in economic development, business development, or community program development within the last ten (10) years.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in developing and implementing marketing and promotional campaigns and activities in the last seven (7) years.
- Experience in managing projects with a wide range of scope and complexity.
- Experience in community and stakeholder engagement.
- Experience working in a local government environment.
- Certified Economic Developer (Ec.D) from the Economic Developers Association of Canada (EDAC) or equivalent.
- Local government administration training.
- Travel may be required and is paid in accordance with the City’s Travel Policy.
- The incumbent will be required to attend evening, early morning and weekend meetings.
The rate of pay for this permanent, full time CUPE bargaining unit position is $43.66 per hour, based on a 35 hour work week, and includes a comprehensive benefits package. Workplace flexibility is important to the City of Campbell River. Ask about our Flexible Work Options program available to full-time employees.
For information on this exciting opportunity and to view a detailed job description that lists all the duties and necessary qualifications for this position, please visit www.campbellriver.ca/employment.
Note: only applicants who are legally entitled to work in Canada can be considered for advertised positions.
This posting will remain open until filled.
Please send your resume with covering letter, quoting Competition EXT-23-56 to:
Human Resources Department
City of Campbell River
301 St. Ann’s Road
Campbell River, BC V9W 4C7
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.