Be a part of something great!
Competition #: 23-U085
Join a “Community of Communities” – the Township of Langley, home to approximately 150,000 residents, is committed to providing progressive business, housing, and recreational opportunities, while balancing its unique mix of urban growth and rural beauty. A truly fun and beautiful place to work, the Township of Langley offers competitive salaries, excellent benefit packages, municipal pension plan, employee wellness programs and opportunities for professional development and career growth.
The Township of Langley is currently recruiting for a regular full-time Buyer to join our team of professionals in the Finance Division, Purchasing and Stores Department. Reporting to the Manager, Purchasing Services, in this unionized position you will procure a variety of products and services through the competitive bidding process and assist in developing and facilitating specifications and evaluation criteria. This position will appeal to applicants who enjoy working with a dynamic team in an office environment and the Buyer requires a considerable amount of independent judgement within the framework of established policies, standards and budget constraints.
- Process requisitions for a variety of goods, materials, services and equipment
- Assist in developing purchasing practices, processes, procedures and internal control systems
- Liaise with other departments and internal contacts to develop specifications and evaluation criteria for various goods, services and capital works tenders
- Provide advice on procurement and supply matters and interpret policies, procedures, legal and ethical concerns
- Locate supply sources, interview suppliers, obtain product prices and analyze quality and availability information
- Prepare and issue a variety of documents including tenders, requests for proposals, statement of qualifications, expressions of interest and standing order agreements
- Represent the Township at meetings of the Municipal Purchasing Group
- Perform other related work as required
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by completion of SCMA courses leading to the Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP) designation plus sound related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Considerable knowledge of sources, types, quantities, commodities pricing and services
- Considerable knowledge of the functions and requirements of the various municipal departments served
- Sound knowledge of municipal purchasing policies and procedures, standards methods and laws related to municipal purchasing
- Sound knowledge of market conditions, price trends and delivery practices
- Ability to assist in developing and implementing purchasing practices, processes, procedures
- Ability to evaluate quality and price elements and determine suitability of goods and services
- Ability to develop and maintain effective communication with a variety of internal and external contacts
- Ability to prepare and administer contracts, specifications and bid documents for various products and services
In order to be considered for this position, candidates must have the following valid and current certifications/licenses (must be valid at the time the posting closes) and these must be attached with your application. Applications without the attached required documents below will be deemed incomplete and may not be considered. Please title your attachments with the number of this competition and have these documents ready to upload when you apply:
BC Class 5 (full-privilege) Driver’s License or equivalent driver’s license for where you reside. You must include with your application a current Personal Driving Record (select the 5-year option if obtaining online) that has been obtained within 6 months of the closing date. To obtain a copy of your Personal Driving Record, please contact ICBC directly or the driving authority where you reside. Please note that a copy of your Driver’s License and/or Driver Factor Report will not be accepted.
The CUPE rate of pay for this position is $39.17 – $46.24 per hour (5 steps, 2023 rates) plus benefits. The hours of work are 7.5 hours per day, Monday to Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm.
If you wish to pursue this exciting career in a growing community, please visit tol.ca/careers to apply.
Internal closing date for this competition: June 26, 2023
External closing date for this competition: June 26, 2023
We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.