City of Maple Ridge
Bylaw Compliance Officer
Status: Regular Full Time – CUPE
Salary: $34.13 – $40.13 per hour
Closing: July 3, 2023
Come grow with The City of Maple Ridge! Are you a team player with a “can do attitude”, excellent communication and customer service skills? We have the perfect opportunity for you!
The City of Maple Ridge has an exciting opportunity for two full-time Bylaw Compliance Officer positions. This position is responsible for regulatory work involving enforcement of City bylaws. This position will have a priority focus on enhancing the park experience for residents and visitors by routine regulatory enforcement work and proactively addressing any safety concerns. You will also work with the vulnerable sector, connecting them with the appropriate requested services. You will be responsible for investigating and processing alleged bylaw violations and take remedial action as required to obtain compliance.
The key responsibilities are:
- Conducts site inspections, investigates complaints and enforces bylaws and other regulations with tact, impartiality, firmness, and the use of sound judgement;
- Prepares concise and factual reports; maintains appropriate records, and interprets specific bylaws, regulations and applicable rules for the public; and
- Gathers evidence and prepares information for municipal tickets, prosecution and to act as a witness in court.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Completion of grade 12 supplemented by courses related to the work and sound experience in inspectional and enforcement work, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge of the by-laws, statutes and applicable regulations.
- Considerable knowledge of the various types of business operations and licensing fees.
- Sound knowledge of the zoning bylaw as it relates to the application of the business license bylaw.
- Sound knowledge of the geography and street locations in the Municipality.
- Sound knowledge of provincial court procedures and rules of evidence.
- Ability to investigate complaints and enforce by-laws and other regulations with tact, impartiality, firmness, and the use of sound judgement.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of contacts, to obtain compliance and resolve conflicts.
- Ability to prepare concise, factual reports, to maintain appropriate records, and to interpret specific bylaws, regulations and applicable rules to the public.
- Ability to make recommendations regarding remedial or legal action concerning the enforcement of certain bylaws.
- Ability to gather evidence and prepare information for prosecution and to act as a witness in court.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather, to walk long distances and to climb stairs.
- Skill in the use of software applications related to the work.
LICENSES & CERTIFICATES:
Class 5 Driver’s License – Province of British Columbia.
Preference will be given to candidates that have completed the Bylaw Enforcement and Investigative Skills course Level Bylaw Enforcement and Investigative Skills Level 2 course will be considered an asset.
HOURS OF WORK:
Hours of work outlined herein are based on operational requirements and may be modified from time to time in accordance with Article 5.01 of the Collective Agreement.
As per the Letter of understanding for Bylaw Compliance Officers shall work a compressed work schedule consisting of four 10.5 hour days inclusive of a 30-minute unpaid rest break for a total of 40 hours worked per week, presently defined by the four following shifts:
Bylaw Compliance Officers:
Shall work a weekly rotation alternating between day and afternoon shifts.
Wednesday to Saturday defined as:
- Four (4) consecutive days worked
- Three (3) days’ rest
Sunday to Wednesday defined as:
- Four (4) consecutive days worked
- Three (3) days rest
The ideal candidate must possess awareness and sensitivity to a diverse community. Must be able to problem solve, investigate complaints and enforce bylaws and regulations with tact, sound judgment and skillful conflict resolution. This position involves working outside in inclement weather conditions, standing, walking, and driving, with some physical and office work.
At the City of Maple Ridge, we are dedicated to cultivating an inclusive culture that actively values and embraces diversity. We strive to attract and retain a talented, diverse workforce that is broadly reflective of the community we proudly serve. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT WE OFFER YOU:
The City of Maple Ridge is a great place to work with competitive compensation packages that include the Municipal Pension Plan, a strong employee wellness program and the opportunity for professional career growth and professional development. If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.