Located between the Rocky Mountains and the Pacific Ocean on the Canada/US Border, Midway is a recreational destination and offers something for all levels and interests of recreational enthusiasts. Our community offers the quality of life that a small town can provide with bigger city centres just minutes away. Centrally located, about 2 hours from Kelowna and Penticton in the Okanagan and Trail, Castlegar and Nelson in the Kootenay’s, Midway is also just a 2 ½ hour drive from Spokane WA. Midway is built on the people of the past and present looking towards the people of the future.
The Village of Midway is seeking an energetic and qualified individual for a permanent part-time Bylaw Officer position for 2-3 days per week. Working days could be flexible, dependent on operational needs. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer or designate, the duties will include:
Assist in the development, application, and amendments to municipal bylaws.
- Provide public education on all municipal bylaws.
- Investigate complaints and enforce all Village of Midway Bylaws including but not limited to building, business licence, signs, zoning, water and sewer, unsightly premises, traffic, noise, etc.
- Liaise with other municipal staff, the RCMP and community partners to resolve issues collaboratively.
- Completion of documentation relative to bylaw investigation, enforcement activities, and report to Council as required.
- Responsible for maintaining a bylaw complaint tracking system and preparation of required reports and documents in the event of a dispute.
- High school graduation and completion of Bylaw enforcement courses at the JIBC or another recognized program.
- Training or work experience in management, supervision and conflict resolution.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License.
- Excellent Interpersonal, oral communications and writing skills.
- Analytical and judgement skills that enhance good conflict resolution skills.
- Computer/technology skills.
- Time management skills.
- Ability to adapt readily to rapidly changing demands and circumstances.
- Ability to work independently, exercise discretion and sound judgment.
- Ability to deal with complaints of a highly sensitive manner.
- Act decisively and with sound judgement.
- RCMP Criminal Record check required.
Salary based on job experience and qualifications.
Please submit resume by 4:30 pm on Friday July 21, 2023.
Village of Midway, PO Box 160, Midway, BC, V0H 1M0.
Attn: Lisa Teggarty, Chief Administrative Officer
While the Village appreciates the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.