City of Nanaimo
Chief Administrative Officer
A vibrant city with the warmth of a small town, Nanaimo is growing rapidly with new residents, investors and businesses arriving from other parts of British Columbia, Canada, and around the world.
The city is proud of its beautiful waterfront, deep history, abundant natural spaces and easy access to Vancouver, Victoria and Vancouver Island’s recreational hot spots. With a newly adopted, award-winning Official Community Plan, Nanaimo envisions a future where the pressures of growth are managed carefully to protect its unique treasures.
As the City’s top leader, the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) leads an innovative, fast- paced and results-oriented organization. Accountable to the Mayor and City Council, the CAO acts as the nexus between the City Council and the civic administrative staff and is responsible for supporting the organization to fulfil Council’s vision and keep pace as one of the fastest growing cities in Canada.
The incumbent will be accountable for reflecting a citizen-centric and responsible approach in the strategies, business plans, programs, and services which align with Council’s priorities. The CAO is responsible for shaping an organizational culture that supports the City’s most valuable resources: the employees who are encouraged to be innovative, progressive, collaborative, and results-oriented. The CAO will also play a significant role externally across the community with partners such as neighbouring local governments, the regional district, the local First Nation and leadership, provincial bodies and other business entities affecting the City.
As the ideal candidate, you will be:
- A collaborative and engaging leader who has had responsibility for providing dynamic and meaningful leadership in a large and progressive organization.
- Vision-oriented with strong interpersonal skills – bringing in a genuine belief in the value of community engagement and sustainability.
- Credible and will have demonstrated experience working effectively with elected officials, high-performing staff and external constituents.
- A relationship builder with proven experience working with a wide range of partner groups to implement innovative initiatives and can move from consultation to results in an inclusive and decisive way.
- An astute leader who can effectively build and earn trust, and will embody and champion principles of equity, diversity and inclusion.
This is an opportunity to work with a high-performing, progressive and innovative team in a growing and thriving city. Send your resume and covering letter to Allison Rzen and Maggie Ow at www.pfmsearch.com.
PFM Executive Search
Tel 604.689.9970 | Toll-Free 1.800.864.9970
Suite 510–999 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 2W2