The Corporation of the Village of Salmo
Chief Administrative Officer
The Village of Salmo is seeking a visionary, strategic thinker who will guide and oversee the operations of the municipality into the future.
Family friendly Salmo, “The Hub of the Kootenays”, population 1,140, has a strong community spirit and is a fantastic place to live! Centrally located on Highways 3 and 6 about 30 minutes from Trail, Castlegar, or Nelson, Salmo offers the best of outdoor life and mountain living. Salmo features beautiful parks, trails and rivers, reasonable housing prices, medical services, both an elementary and a high school, a day care centre, a community centre that includes a full fitness centre, a swimming pool, and curling and outdoor skating rinks. Within in five minutes you can be at a ski hill, a golf course, a BMX bike-park, ATVing, fishing and much more. Nearby are beautiful lakes, two world-class ski resorts – Red Mountain and Whitewater – and a wide variety of outdoor adventure opportunities, plus the many amenities of our nearby neighbours. If you enjoy a challenging job with lots of variety and prefer life in a small, vibrant village, this is the place for you!
The CAO is responsible for leading, planning and managing the overall operations and programs of the municipality and ensuring that Council has the appropriate level of information and advice to make informed decisions on the affairs of the Village. The successful candidate will employ their proven leadership abilities, strategic and creative thinking, and excellent communication and interpersonal skills to ensure the continuous development and forward movement of new and existing village services. The CAO additionally holds the responsibility of Corporate Officer.
This position requires a person with senior management experience and the ability to wear many hats each day. The CAO is responsible for oversight of Civic Works (infrastructure, roads, facilities, parks) and utility services (water, wastewater and garbage), overall administration – human resources, accounts payable and receivable, utility billing and taxation, building permit applications, purchasing, cemetery management and burials, contracts, RFPs, asset management, strategic planning with Council, report writing, grant writing, and advertising – and liaising with government ministries, the regional government, nearby towns and villages, consultants, plus community members and groups. This position works closely with Council and prepares for and attends all meetings to provide support and advice. Our Village team is fantastic and consists of three administrative support people, four full-time civic workers/system operators, plus a Volunteer Fire Department.
Interested applicants must demonstrate that they substantially meet the following requirements:
Required Education and Experience:
- A certificate or degree in local government, public or business administration, or a related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. BC education and experience is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of directly-related, progressive management experience demonstrating leadership in a government setting that encompasses a thorough knowledge of all aspects of a small local government including: utility services, civic works, taxation, bylaw development and/or updating, bylaw enforcement, administration, finance, planning, fire services, diking, emergency response services, budget planning, human resources and overall management.
- Experience hiring, managing and, when necessary, mentoring a diverse group of staff.
- Experience managing multiple functions and priorities.
- Experience with oversite of land development and planning.
- Demonstrated experience working with a Council or Board to develop and implement strategy, including managing projects and multi-tiered strategic planning.
- Experience in writing Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for consultants reports and construction projects.
- Experience in searching out and writing grant applications.
- Experience working with a CFO, staff and Council for the annual budget process and ongoing oversight.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Highly collaborative, works effectively with and through others.
- Manages, influences, mentors and works effectively in a team environment.
- Exceptional interpersonal and client service skills.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of applicable legislation, including BC’s Community Charter and Local Government Act.
- Thinks, manages and plans strategically, anticipating and identifying potential issues and opportunities both present and upcoming.
- A confident and effective independent decision maker.
- Demonstrates strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Works competently and effectively while under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Is an excellent communicator with exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Delivers results through effective engagement with diverse groups of internal and external stakeholders.
Additional Preferred Experience:
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter by 4:00 pm July 12, 2023, to:
Diana Lockwood, Mayor
Email: Mayor.Lockwood@salmo.ca or mail to: Box 1000, Salmo, BC V0G 1Z0