Métis Nation British Columbia
Child Care Coordinator
Ministry of Education
Position: Temporary Full-Time (37.5 hours per week) until March 31, 2024
Location: Hybrid/Provincial office – Station Tower (13401 – 108th Avenue, Surrey)
Closes: July 25, 2023
Classification: Coordinator 1
Salary Range: $55,000 – $65,000 annually
ABOUT MÉTIS NATION BRITISH COLUMBIA:
Métis Nation British Columbia (MNBC) develops and enhances opportunities for our Métis communities by implementing culturally relevant social and economic programs and services. Through teamwork, respect, dedication, accountability, integrity, and professionalism, MNBC strives to build a proud, self-governing, sustainable Nation in recognition of inherent rights for our Métis citizens, assisting in the delivery of services based on policy, process, and specified regulations.
MNBC’s KAA-WIICHIHITOYAAHK (We take care of each other) Initiatives offers employees a competitive total compensation package including:
- comprehensive group benefit package or health-care spending account and enrollment in the Municipal Pension Plan
- 15 paid days per year for statutory and
- cultural days (Indigenous Peoples Day, Truth and Reconciliation Day, & Louis Riel Day)
- carpool, parking & public transit subsidies (Provincial Office only)
- educational spending account and professional development allowances to provide annual funding to continue lifelong learning and skills upgrade.
- remote workplace supports.
- internal advancement & redeployment opportunities
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Reporting to the Child Care Manager, the primary purpose of the Child Care Coordinator is to partner with early learning and childcare services and program, Métis families and communities throughout the province and provide consistent, distinctions-based, and Métis led delivery of childcare supports and services. To increase the availability and accessibility of high-quality childcare resources and services that support the needs of Métis children and families.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Promotes the Ministry of Education – Early Years programs, Affordable Child Care Benefit Program (ACCB), Métis Child Care Benefit Program and other childcare related services in the community.
- Assists parents and caregivers in completing the ACCB and Métis Child Care Benefit Program applications and forms.
- Provides information sessions on the ACCB program and how to apply for it to parents and guardians.
- Liaises with MCFD and other government agents involved in implementation of the ACCB program.
- Responds to enquiries from parents and guardians seeking childcare and makes referrals to local Child Care Resource and Referral programs and other childcare services based on the parents’ and child’s specific needs.
- Assists in the recruitment of Registered License-Not-Required (RLNR) childcare providers.
- Develops, implements, and monitors recruitment, assessment, training, and support strategies for RLNR childcare providers.
- This individual will work collaboratively with the Ministry of Education Team, Métis families and Métis Chartered communities.
- Knowledge of early years’ organizations, agencies, and service providers.
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook – adaptability and flexibility are essential.
- Actively participate as a critical member of the Ministry of Education Team to create solutions that advance the successful, efficient, and effective delivery of MNBC Métis early years programs and services.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Diploma in Early Childhood Education, Community Support Work, K – 3 Education or related field. Degree is preferred.
- Minimum of four (4) years’ experience in the early years’ field or public-school system.
- A comprehensive knowledge of the Childcare BC Plan.
- Combination of relevant experience, education, and training will be considered.
- Knowledge and/or awareness of the historical and contemporary contributions made by Métis people in B.C.
- Previous experience working in an Indigenous Community, with strong knowledge of Métis culture and history, is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and work with minimal supervision.
- Proven ability to utilize, adapt and embrace new technologies, including Word, Excel and other database/software required by the role.
- Other duties may be assigned as needed to help ensure the efficient operation of MNBC.
- There will be a need to attend meetings and events which may require work and travel outside of normal business hours.
- Ability to provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
The above requirements are what MNBC is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change based on needs.
Pursuant to section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants who self-identify as Indigenous (First Nation, Métis or Inuit). All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
PLEASE NOTE THAT CANDIDATES MUST APPLY using “Child Care Coordinator – #23-089” in the subject line of the email. Please send your resume and cover letter to:
Provincial Child Care Manager
Métis Nation British Columbia