Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Clerk Typist 2
NO. OF POSITIONS: Two
UNION: CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK: Up to 35 hours per week*
SALARY: $24.39 to 28.54 (2021 rates) plus 12% in lieu of benefits
We are seeking energetic and self-motivated individuals to assist and support the administrative teams that actively support the Engineering Department.
Your key accountabilities include:
- Performing complex clerical duties including minute taking, payroll entries, processing applications, maintaining records, and providing customer service.
- Provide assistance to clients at the front counter and over the telephone regarding regulations, procedures, permit applications and system entries in Tempest.
- Responsible for typing, formatting and proofreading various correspondence, agendas, and reports.
- Submitting, filing, logging and maintaining physical and electronic records/data.
- Typing and preparing committee minutes.
- Preparing mail out using mail merge.
- Updating and maintaining Engineering content on the City’s website, intranet and social media platforms.
- Processing purchase requisitions, orders and invoices.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
If you have the following qualifications and attributes, we want to hear from you!
- Grade 12 including or supplemented by courses related to office and business administration (preferably taken as a part of a certificate or diploma program) plus considerable related experience or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Ability to process confidential matters and materials and to perform duties with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to provide information and assistance within defined limits, explain processes and procedures.
- Experience with various social media platforms including Facebook and Twitter is considered an asset.
- Superior communication skills, both verbal and written with a working knowledge of business English, composing correspondence and proofreading skills.
- Considerable working knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Ability to deal effectively with the public, employees, developers, and officials, in supplying information and assistance; and to provide exceptional customer service.
- Proficient with taking minutes during committee meetings and ability to complete the minute taking process through formatting/completion and distribution.
- Extensive clerical aptitude and the ability to operate a variety of common office equipment and working knowledge of software including Microsoft Office applications including Word, Outlook, and Excel. (Minimum typing speed of 55 wpm).
- Experience with Tempest and Prospero is considered an asset.
- Experience with JD Edwards and KRONOS is considered an asset.
- Ability to perform complex and time sensitive clerical assignments with accuracy.
- Ability to prepare, maintain and control a variety of records, files and related data.
- Ability to compose non-routine correspondence, and prepare reports and related material independently.
- Ability to prepare moderately complex tabulations and computations.
- Ability to work independently and effectively under pressure.
- Ability to pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check.
Apply by sending your cover letter and resume in one document at www.newwestcity.ca/employment
To support a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community; women, Indigenous Peoples, racialized individuals, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), persons with disabilities, and others who may contribute to diversity of our workforce, are encouraged to express their interest.
New Westminster is on the unceded and unsurrendered land of the Halq’eméylem-speaking peoples. It is acknowledged by the City that colonialism has made invisible their histories and connections to the land. We are learning and building relationships with the people whose lands we are on.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.