City of Revelstoke
I. POSITION PURPOSE STATEMENT
As the Communications Coordinator, you will be responsible for developing and implementing effective communication strategies to enhance the City’s public image and engage with the community. You will play a crucial role in ensuring clear and consistent messaging across various communication channels, fostering positive relationships with stakeholders, and keeping the public informed about city initiatives, events, and services. This position requires strict confidentiality, excellent written and verbal communication skills, a creative mindset, and a passion for community engagement.
II. OPERATING ENVIRONMENT
Reports to the Director of Corporate Services or designate and provides communications leadership to Council, senior leadership, and staff.
III. SPECIFIC DUTIES
- Develop and execute comprehensive communication strategies to promote the City of Revelstoke’s initiatives, events, and services.
- Identify and serve resident and stakeholder needs that can be addressed through service communications products.
- Create engaging content for various communication channels, including press releases, social media posts, newsletters, and website updates.
- Manage the City’s social media platforms, monitor trends, and engage with the community to enhance online presence and build positive relationships.
- Coordinate media relations, including writing and distributing press releases, responding to media inquiries, and organizing media events.
- Attends and provides guidance, where applicable, at Regular and Closed Council meetings, involving subject matters including, but not limited to, confidential agreements, partnerships, and labour management items.
- Maintain and update the City’s website content to ensure accuracy and relevance.
- Collaborate with different departments to gather information and create compelling narratives that effectively communicate the City’s objectives and achievements.
- Monitor and analyze communication activities to assess their effectiveness and recommend improvements for future campaigns.
- Act as a spokesperson for the City, representing its interests and values to external stakeholders, community groups, and the general public.
- Represent the City as the Communications Officer, effectively conveying key messages and engaging with stakeholders through various mediums including video, social media, and live events.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with local media outlets, community organizations, and key stakeholders.
- Support the coordination of public consultations, town hall meetings, and community engagement initiatives.
- Stay informed about local issues, trends, and developments that may impact the City’s communications strategies.
- Respond to emerging issues and challenges with communication strategies and solutions that serve residents.
- Assist in Emergency/Crisis Communication Plan development.
- Assist is Emergency/Crisis Communication planning and response as needed. Weekend and/or evening work may be required during times of emergency.
- Other related duties as required.
IV. KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to convey complex information in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Proficiency in social media management and content creation, with a keen understanding of digital marketing trends.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and meet tight deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to delivering high-quality work.
- Creativity and innovation in developing communication strategies and materials.
- Familiarity with the local community and an understanding of its unique needs and dynamics is an asset.
- Knowledge of graphic design, photography, and video editing software is desirable but not required.
V. SPECIFIC ACCOUNTABILITIES
- To complete all assignments in an efficient manner and to work to frequent deadlines within short time frames by prioritizing and coordinating own work schedule.
- To deal with inquiries from the public and to enhance the image of City Hall by being generally knowledgeable of all matters within the organization.
- Criminal Record Check.
- A valid Class 5 BC Driver’s license.
VI. REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing, or a related field.
- Proven experience in communications, public relations, or a related role, preferably in a municipal or government setting.
- Experience and/or training in media relations, including writing press releases and coordinating media events.
- Experience with website content management systems and HTML.
- A combination of related education and experience may be considered.
The City of Revelstoke offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package, a supportive team-oriented work environment and opportunities for career and professional development.
Interested parties are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by mail or email to:
Jodie Allen, CPM, CPHR Candidate
Manager of Human Resources
PO Box 170, 216 Mackenzie Avenue
Revelstoke, BC V0E 2S0
Resumes will be accepted until Friday, July 28th, 2023, at 4:30 pm.
The City of Revelstoke wishes to thank all applicants in advance for their interest.
However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.