Contract Skate Instructor
$19.50-21.50 per hour (2023 Living Wage $24.08)
6/28/23 12:30 PM
The goal of the City of Burnaby and its employees is to consistently deliver first class service and services to our community. With this in mind, we hire people who share the same passion, those with the drive and determination to grow with and contribute to our already exceptional team. People like you!
Arena Services at Bill Copeland Sports Centre, Kensington Complex, and Rosemary Brown Arena are looking for Contract Skating Instructors who are committed to working with children and families to deliver fun and productive skating lessons for our community. Our staff team is welcoming applications for our Recreational Ice Skating lessons for the September to March Ice Season.
This role includes the following duties and responsibilities:
- Performing a variety of duties related to arena programs
- Planning and implementing skating lessons for all ages
- Motivating students by providing a positive, safe, and fun learning environment in our skating lessons
- Providing excellent customer service
- Assessing and evaluating participants’ skating skills to write constructive progress cards
- Communicating effectively with team members, customers, and supervisors
- Performing other related work as required
The qualifications for this position include:
- Minimum of Grade 10 education
- Previous work or volunteer experienced with children in a recreation setting
- Knowledge of skating instruction techniques and skill progressions
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Successful completion of Emergency First Aid (8+ hour emergency) and CPR “C” is required
- Recreational Ice Skating Instructor’s course, High Five training, and NCCP courses are assets
Other relevant information:
- Selected candidates will be required to attend an on-ice assessment session
- You must provide your own skates and a CSA-approved hockey or snow sports helmet.
- Applicants successful in the on-ice assessment will be considered for an interview.
Hourly Wage: $19.50-21.50 (The City of Burnaby is a part of the Living Wage program; the 2023 living wage is $24.08).
Please apply online. This opportunity will remain opened until filled.
Applicants under consideration will be required to consent to a Police Information Check.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those considered for an on-ice assessment will be contacted
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Visit us at www.burnaby.ca