Corporate Payroll Manager
Division: Human Resources
Department: HR Operations
Term: 1 Permanent Full Time position(s) available.
Closing Date: 07/14/2023
Labour Group: ESA
The Corporate Payroll Manager is responsible for delivering payroll and transactional services for all employees and pensioners in the City of Saskatoon. This position provides leadership in directing, mentoring, and developing cross-divisional relationships throughout the Corporation for all payroll functions. This position has direct and indirect reports; as well as, numerous integral cross-divisional relationships with areas such as Human Resources, Finance, and the ERP Program.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Leads the day-to-day payroll operations, compliance adherence, control framework, payroll accounting and general ledger reporting requirements.
- Oversee the audit and control activities for each payroll cycle including reconciliations and timely submission of all payroll-related statutory filings and payments.
- Oversees the daily activities of the corporate payroll staff engaged in the preparation, processing and verification of payroll, pension and benefits remittances, including recommending improvements to payroll policies, procedures and systems.
- Manages assigned staff, hires, assigns work schedules, assesses staffing needs, identifies and pursues other resources if necessary. Plans and approves staff development. Responsible for performance management and disciplinary action when required.
- Plans, organizes, directs and controls the operation of the corporate payroll system.
- Provides key leadership and input into the City’s ERP platform.
- Ensures compliance of negotiated collective bargaining agreements as well as municipal, provincial and federal laws and regulations.
- Delivers payroll training to ensure compliance and consistency in the Corporation, including organizing and leading quarterly payroll meetings with internal stakeholders.
- Participates in the development and implementation of financial business and payroll systems, ensuring adequate internal controls are present.
- Leads specialized Corporate and departmental accounting functions, including reconciliation of the payroll bank accounts, general ledger accounts and budgeting and forecasting of Corporate Payroll Costs.
- Provides daily payroll support and information and provides payroll consultation for the Corporation.
- Prepares necessary reports on a regular and exception basis to various Civic departments, boards and commissions, City Council and external customers.
- Manages and leads Payroll year-end processes and reporting activities.
- Provides assistance to external auditors during interim and annual audits of corporate records.
- Assists with budget preparation, expenditure analysis and financial planning. Reports regularly, or on an exception basis, regarding identifying actual achievements compared to the desired results and analyzing the causes of variances.
- Assists in the review, development and documentation of payroll and benefits policies, procedures and controls. Manages and leads continuous improvement initiatives, implementing changes to processes and system enhancements.
- Assists in the confidential evaluation and analysis of impacts from Union negotiations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Degree in a related discipline plus completion of professional accounting designation, i.e. CMA, CGA, CA or CPA.
- Possession of a Certified Payroll Manager (CPM) certification.
- Seven to nine years’ progressively responsible, related experience in payroll management, and financial analysis and reporting.
- Experience managing multiple employees, including recruitment, performance management, skill development and disciplinary action if needed.
- Experience managing payroll for both non-union and unionized staff with multiple collective agreements considered an asset.
- Experience managing payroll in a large size ERP (SAP-S4) enabled organization. Experience with SAP S4/HANA Payroll, SuccessFactors, and WorkForce would be considered an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of Canadian payroll and employee benefits administration.
- Considerable knowledge of business process analysis and system design and implementation.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and present oral and written accounting and financial reports.
- Ability to direct and support staff in achieving identified results.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of civic staff, including senior administration and elected officials.
- Ability to problem solve through consensus, stakeholder involvement and dialogue.
- Ability to express ideas and concepts effectively in oral and written form to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of a computer using the Microsoft Office suite.
Weekly Hours: 40
Salary Range: $117,900.96 to $138,533.28 CAD per annum (2022 rates)
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The City of Saskatoon offers an inclusive workplace that embraces diverse backgrounds. As an equity partner with the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission (SHRC), the City commits to diversity, equity and inclusion in our workplaces. By having our workforce reflect the community we serve, we support the realization of miyo-pimatisiwin, (me-o-pi-ma-ti-si-win) “the good life”, for all residents. To learn more about Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at the City, please visit Saskatoon.ca/diversity
The City of Saskatoon strives to provide an accessible and inclusive workplace for all, including throughout the application and selection process through reasonable access and accommodations. Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please email email@example.com.