City of Kamloops
Crime Analyst I – Training Opportunity
(Permanent, Full-Time) – 1075
July 9, 2023
At the City of Kamloops, we believe in progressive and barrier-free recruitment for everybody every day. This means employment opportunities for all in a safe, inclusive and diverse workplace. We know our city is stronger when we hire qualified individuals from different backgrounds with diverse experiences, cultures and perspectives.
We are focused on creating the highest levels of service excellence, based on an organization-wide community culture that celebrates our employees who make it all happen. We are known as Canada’s Tournament Capital and are famous for our hospitality and community spirit, traits that make us a leader! Recreation, sports, arts and culture, health care, social activities, volunteerism, and affordable housing all meld to form a unique blend of big-city amenities with small-town ambience. This is Kamloops!
Let’s make Kamloops shine! Join our team today.
The City of Kamloops is seeking a permanent, full-time Crime Analyst I who will be placed into a Training Opportunity. The Crime Analyst I – Training Opportunity is a dynamic position that works alongside the RMCP and supports the Crime Analyst II’s in their roles. This position works closely with the Crime Intelligence Unit to assist RCMP members in criminal investigative activities, operational programs, and crime reduction strategies under the limited supervisor of the Client Support Services Supervisor. If you are highly analytical and enjoy critical thinking, this career may be a great fit for you!
The successful candidate must have the following qualifications:
- Minimum of two years post secondary education in Business or Social Sciences.
- Proficient in intermediate Word and intermediate Excel, as demonstrated through testing (70% pass rate required).
- Proficient in alphanumeric data entry, as demonstrated through testing.
- Minimum of six months previous experience within the last three years working in a police municipal support environment using computer systems such as, but not limited to, ROSS, CPIC, PRIME, JUSTIN, TEAM, etc.
Minimum of one-year previous office experience that includes conducting research, statistical and data analysis, compilation of data and information, records management, document creation and review, data entry, and administrative support.
- Shortlisted applicants must successfully pass an RCMP Assistant Analyst Entrance Exam administered by the E Division Crime Analysis Section (EDCAS) in order to proceed to the interview stage. Please note applicants can only write this exam every six months with a maximum of three attempts. EDCAS will confirm if a candidate is eligible to write or rewrite this exam.
- Ability to obtain and maintain an RCMP Top Secret Level Security Clearance. Please note, if you are unable to obtain or maintain an RCMP Top Secret Level Security Clearance, your employment with the City will be terminated.
For new hires, and for those working in designated positions of trust, including those working directly with vulnerable persons, no formal offer of employment will be made until an applicant completes a police information check. A comprehensive benefits package is included with this position.
For further information on the Crime Analyst I position, please see the attached job description for the fully qualified position and for further information on the details around the training opportunity, please see the attached terms and conditions.
Awarding of Training Opportunity:
To be successful for this training opportunity, senior applicants must meet the above requirements. Applicants are able to participate in a maximum of three training opportunities within the Department.
On-the-Job Experience and Training:
The most senior qualified candidate for this opportunity will be gaining experience towards becoming a fully qualified Crime Analyst I. The exact length of the training opportunity may vary based on the previous experience of the successful candidate; however, for this training opportunity it will be up to two years.
The successful applicant for this training opportunity will receive the pay rate of Pay Grade 9 (inside), $33.87 per hour to start. After successful completion of the Training Opportunity term, and being deemed fully qualified, the incumbent will move to a fully qualified Crime Analyst I Pay Grade 10 (inside).
Time Commitment to the Position:
The successful candidate will be required to remain in Crime Analyst I position for a minimum of the amount of time it took the candidate to become fully qualified.
$33.87 (training rate)
Hours & Days of Work
Monday – Friday 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
Hours per Week
Please note if you need assistance or have individual needs or requirements throughout the application process, contact the Human Resources Department by telephone, email email@example.com or in person at 6- 510 Lorne Street so we can better support you.
External job postings are open to everyone. We are an equal opportunity employer and thank all applicants for their interest. Please be sure to review the application requirements of each job you apply for. Only those selected to participate in the recruitment process will be contacted.
Applications are accepted online at kamloops.ca/careers.