DEPARTMENT SECRETARY (CULTURAL SERVICES)
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations, West Vancouver is a vibrant community on the North Shore and home to parks, beaches, and to sports, recreation and arts amenities. We are seeking employees with a passion for public service who share our commitment to creating a complete, inclusive and livable community. Our dedicated staff deliver services, operate facilities and run the programs that enhance the well-being of our community.
The District of West Vancouver is currently looking for a permanent full-time Department Secretary to perform a variety of customer service and management support duties within our Cultural Services Department. This position is responsible for:
· Providing administrative and clerical support to the management team including: drafting and processing correspondence, managing calendars, answering phones, responding to public inquiries, conducting basic research, creating, updating statistics and performance measures, filing, organizing departmental records, ensuring department webpage is up to date, and filling in reports and forms;
· providing administrative and clerical support to a variety of working groups, boards, and committees including: coordinating meeting arrangements, preparing agenda and supporting materials, and taking, editing, transcribing and distributing minutes;
· assisting with report writing and other communication, including Council Reports, which requires very strong writing skills, attention to detail and a high level of accuracy;
· processing and issuing of a variety of documentation including compiling spending reports, user statistics, and other records;
· handling room booking requests for staff and committees;
· handling public inquiries, which requires the ability to handle occasional conflict; and,
· assisting with Cultural Services special events
· performing other duties as required
The preferred candidate will possess: excellent customer service in order to effectively interact with the public and staff members; excellent written and communications skills with strong attention to detail; demonstrated conflict resolution skills; knowledge of business English, office practices and procedures; strong computer skills; thorough knowledge and ability using Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint); and the ability to work effectively as part of a team. Experience with the recreation management software Active Net would be considered an asset.
The successful candidate is required to supply a police information check.
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licences and certificates required of candidates. For details please refer to the Class Specification which is available for inspection in the Human Resources Department or on WestNet.
WVMEA (Union) – Permanent, Full-Time
Hours of Work:
35 hours per week (hours and days of work may vary)
Starting Rate of Pay:
$26.90 per hour
(This position has a pay structure with five steps which increase annually.)
11:59 p.m. on Sunday July 9, 2023
Please visit the District of West Vancouver’s Career Centre at westvancouver.ca/careers to apply for this position.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted