The City of Richmond is a diverse and dynamic community in pursuit of our vision
to be the most appealing, livable and well-managed community in Canada.
People l Excellence l Leadership l Team l Innovation
Imagine a career with the City of Richmond, a dynamic environment for growth and continuous improvement, fostered by our collective strengths and creativity. We are a vibrant, diverse cosmopolitan city, supported by a strong economy and recognized as leaders in innovation and service delivery excellence. The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community.
This position requires technical engineering work at the sub-professional level that involves performing engineering design and drafting tasks, carrying out technical office/field investigations and implementing designs relative to the Service Connection Program.
Examples of key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Administration of the Service Connection Program and less complex capital projects from identification of the design concept through to completion of the construction phase.
- Locating and researching drawings and related information.
- Designing, drafting, cost estimating and project managing standard municipal designs.
- Reviewing utility design drawings and assisting with Engineering permit processes.
- Performing site visits and inspections.
- Liaising and working with internal and external customers.
- Preparing budgets for projects.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of policies and procedures associated with Engineering standards.
- Knowledge of municipal engineering design principles, practices and methods as they relate to the preparation of plans and specifications, contract documents, tenders, quotations and related matters.
- Knowledge of drafting techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge of construction methods, standards, materials, budgeting, project scheduling and standard costing procedures.
- Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers.
- Ability to read and interpret plans, specifications, contracts and related material and to provide direction, information and assistance to other City staff persons and/or consultants including drafting, surveying and engineering inspection staff.
- Ability to collect, analyze and synthesize technical, statistical, costing and related data and information.
- Ability to prepare and maintain a variety of records and reports related to the work.
- Ability to work independently in the technical aspects of the role.
- Must successfully clear a Police Information Check.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent supplemented by graduation from a recognized Institute of Technology in an ASTTBC Technician level course in a relevant Engineering program and two (2) years related experience in municipal civil engineering, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence for the Province of British Columbia
This position is required to visit project and construction sites. In addition this position is required to sit for extended periods of time of 90 minutes or more while completing office work. Intense visual effort while reading plans and drawings is also required.
The City of Richmond offers a competitive pay and benefits program, attractive incentives and a compressed work day schedule. If you are looking to make a difference, and to share our vision “to be the most appealing, livable, and well-managed community in Canada,” please submit your application by following the instructions below:
The City of Richmond uses an applicant tracking system for candidates wishing to view and apply for available career opportunities. For further information regarding position details and to apply, please visit our website at https://www.richmond.ca/city-hall/careers/current.htm
We are accepting applications until July 6, 2023 at 11:59 pm.
The City of Richmond is an inclusive employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. If you are unsuccessful, please accept our appreciation for your interest. No telephone inquiries please.
This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.