City of Maple Ridge
Development Services Technician
Status: Regular Full Time
Salary: $27.90 – $32.75 per hour
Closing: August 6, 2023
Come grow with The City of Maple Ridge! Are you a team player with a “can do attitude”, excellent communication and customer service skills? We have the perfect opportunity for you!
We are looking for a full-time Development Services Technician to join our team! We require a positive team member with strong communication, conflict resolution skills, and a superior customer service orientation.
In this dynamic position, the successful incumbent will be part of a team providing direct in person service to customers with a variety of technical enquiries regarding building bylaws, inspection requirements and zoning regulations. You will be responsible for reviewing and processing various documents relating to permits, building inspections and approvals; scheduling inspections, creating and maintaining data files and systems; and providing administrative support for the effective operation of the building department.
Responsibilities may include: Assisting customers at the counter or over the phone with detailed responses to enquiries, including zoning and building regulations, water services, policies, procedures, building permit process and inspection requirements, the GIS mapping system other information sources, and the roles and requirements of other departments and agencies.
This role also ensures accurate and complete application documentation, explaining deficiencies and requirements for acceptance, calculating fees, issuing permits, and ensuring all fees and charges are paid.
Our ideal candidate is: A strong communicator with a service-oriented approach. Experienced in local government building or building departments or a related field with over three years up to and including four years of directly related experience.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school graduation supplemented by introductory technical courses related to the work; plus considerable related experience, OR, an equivalent combination of training and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of the departmental and divisional procedures, bylaws, rules and regulations related to the work performed.
- Considerable knowledge of development, zoning, utilities, building and licensing bylaws and regulations as related to the work performed.
- Sound knowledge of the responsibility of other departments and outside agencies as they relate to the work performed.
- Ability to deal effectively with a variety of internal and external contacts in processing inquiries and in providing a variety of information and related services.
- Ability to work with manual and electronic data management systems.
- Ability to read and understand plans and drawings related to the work performed.
- Ability to prepare and maintain reports, maps, records, and related material.
- Ability to perform assigned duties with minimal supervision.
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
The City of Maple Ridge is a great place to work with competitive compensation packages that include the Municipal Pension Plan, a strong employee wellness program and the opportunity for professional career growth and professional development. If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
At the City of Maple Ridge, we are dedicated to cultivating an inclusive culture that actively values and embraces diversity. We strive to attract and retain a talented, diverse workforce that is broadly reflective of the community we proudly serve. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.