City of Surrey
Digital Communications Coordinator (Communications Coordinator)
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation.
City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey
The City’s Corporate Marketing & Communications team is seeking an out-going team player to contribute to day-to- day marketing coordination efforts with digital channels to better connect with the residents of Surrey. Join the digital communications team managing surrey.ca and the City of Surrey social media platforms which engages millions of visitors each year, raising awareness and use of services, programs and events and engaging Surrey, BC residents and stakeholders across the region.
As a Digital Communications Coordinator, you will write, edit, and create compelling content for digital communications platforms including web and social media. Acting as the digital voice of our organization, you will help further build the City of Surrey brand and support our online community by driving visitors to participate in programs, events and use services available to them.
Union – CUPE Local 402 – Auxiliary
- Create digital content for requests arriving from other Marketing team members and other City (non communications staff).
- Work with the broader social and digital communications team to implement web and social media strategies, build our community, and maintain the brand’s presence online.
- Community management of the City’s social media channels, aiming to grow the City’s audiences and conversation.
- Support the City’s website content quality assurance while looking for opportunities to improve (eg. broken links, plain language, misspellings).
- Moderate and respond to online communities by communicating organizational messaging and identifying potential reputational risks.
- Identify opportunities and engage local and regional influencers, together with other team members and independently.
- Monitor and measure content success using various tools (eg. Google Analytics, Hootsuite, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Collaborate with various internal teams and stakeholders including broader corporate communications team.
- Provide insights to team on performance and feedback while continually seeking out ways to improve our communications strategies.
- Identify trends and opportunities for digital content as they arise online.
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by a diploma in Communications or a related field from a recognized post-secondary institution plus a minimum of three years related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A valid BC Driver’s License with safe driving record.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Have knowledge of communication principles, practices, methods and techniques, including risk mitigation, related to digital communication.
- Have demonstrated knowledge and experience using and managing various content platforms; includes Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Hootsuite. Knowledge of website CMS such as Drupal is an asset.
- Have a strong understanding of social media (organic and paid) trends, and strategies for building engaged online communities.
- Be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Have ability to write in easy-to-understand plain language that is engaging, audience tailored, relevant and in a consistent voice and tone.
- Be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Have demonstrated experience in communications writing and content creation (eg. Replies and inbox moderation, copywriting and editing).
We encourage you to also submit a link to your portfolio of work with your application; though not required, this helps us get to know you and your range of experience and styles.
Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply at https://www.surrey.ca/about-surrey/jobs-careers to Job ID 5368.
This Posting Closes on July 29, 2023