Director of Development Services
Regular Full Time (Exempt)
We acknowledge with gratitude and respect that the name Coquitlam was derived from the hən̓ q̓ əmin̓ əm̓ word kʷikʷəƛ̓ əm (kwee-kwuh-tlum) meaning “Red Fish Up the River”. The City is honoured to be located on the kʷikʷəƛ̓ əm (Kwikwetlem) traditional and ancestral lands, including those parts that were historically shared with the sq̓ əc̓ iy̓ aɁɬ təməxʷ (Katzie), and other Coast Salish Peoples.
One of BC’s Top Employers, the City of Coquitlam offers meaningful career opportunities to make a difference within the local community. As the sixth largest city in BC, we are home to more than 150,000 residents. Our diverse municipality is a great place to work as it continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and state-of-the-art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre. We envision a bright future in Coquitlam that we hope includes you!
The City of Coquitlam, renowned for its progressive approach to managing growth and creating livable communities, seeks a dynamic and results-driven Director of Development Services in our Planning and Development Department. As one of the fastest-growing cities in the region, Coquitlam offers an exciting opportunity to spearhead the growth of our vibrant city. Reporting to the General Manager, Planning and Development, you will be responsible for overseeing a passionate and dedicated team of planning professionals in the efficient and timely review and processing of development applications.
- Your expertise and guidance will inform Council decisions on development strategies and directions.
- The Director of Development Services plays a pivotal role in coordinating staff within the Development Services Division, ensuring the effective processing of land use and development applications, and negotiating development agreements for complex projects on behalf of the City.
- This leadership position provides significant autonomy, directly reporting to Council on development- related matters.
- You will manage a diverse range of assignments, addressing community development, building, and strategic issues aligned with departmental and corporate policies, plans, and objectives.
- With accountability for the division’s operating and capital budgets, you will also serve as one of the City’s subdivision Approving Officers.
- Effective mediation among internal and external stakeholders will be integral to your success.
- A Masters Degree in Planning, Urban Studies, or a related field.
- A minimum of 7 years of progressive professional experience, demonstrating strong leadership skills and expertise in overseeing development applications, site planning, architectural review, and site servicing.
- Experience leading development planning teams in a high-growth community and a focus on transit- oriented development are considered strong assets.
- Experience in a senior management position within a municipal government or unionized setting is an asset.
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
- Membership with the Canadian Institute of Planners or eligibility for membership is required.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills for preparing reports, presenting proposals, and delivering recommendations to Council and executive-level staff.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills for effective negotiation, influence, and collaboration with City departments, government agencies, developers, consultants, and other external stakeholders.
- Strong presentation skills to provide strategic advice, counsel, and guidance on critical Planning & Development issues.
- Proven leadership abilities, emphasizing a culture of efficiency, continuous process improvement, and accountability within a team. Demonstrated experience in developing and mentoring employees for growth and challenging roles.
- A track record of coaching, mentoring, and directing staff to achieve departmental strategies and business plan goals.
- Success in promoting and maintaining a work environment that fosters teamwork, initiative, accountability, diversity, and innovation. Exceptional business acumen with a deep understanding of the City’s strategic direction.
Good people make Coquitlam great, sign up for career alerts through our recruitment portal to stay up to date about opportunities within our team, or follow us on LinkedIn to learn more about how #YouCouldWorkHere too!
The City offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. This position is based in Coquitlam with some flexible, hybrid work options available. Applicants under consideration may be required to undergo a police information check (with no adverse reports).
If you are motivated by the challenges and high-energy demands of this career opportunity, please apply online at www.coquitlam.ca/careers by 11:55 pm on July 28, 2023.
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.