“Where the Rainforest Meets the Sea”
District of Sooke
Emergency Program Manager
A small town with a big heart – filled with smiling faces.
Sooke embraces our natural assets including local parks, trails, waterways and oceanfronts; we honour the history of the lands of the T’Sou-ke and Sc’ianew (Cheanuh) First Nations within the Coast Salish Territory.
“Where the rainforest meets the sea.” Characterized by warm, dry summers and mild winters, Sooke’s pleasant climate is a year-round paradise for those who enjoy outdoor activities, such as hiking, biking, kayaking, or sailing.
Our team welcomes those who share our values of accountability, compassion, leading by example, respect, and service excellence to apply for this exciting opportunity.
The District of Sooke has a permanent employment opportunity for an Emergency Program Manager position. Reporting to the Director of Community Safety/Fire Chief and the Emergency Program Coordinator, the Emergency Program Manager is responsible for planning, implementing, and maintaining the Emergency Management Program including effective emergency preparedness, response, recovery, and mitigation and compliance with provincial mandates. This position works with and supervises departmental employees and volunteers to coordinate the implementation of Emergency Program activities and the Emergency Support Services (ESS) programs which will enable the community to respond quickly and effectively in providing essential services to evacuees and responders affected by an emergency or disaster.
The Emergency Program Manager participates in short- and long-range emergency response planning and coordinates the various initiatives of the volunteer committees and divisions of the Emergency Program. This position responds to after hour emergency incidents as required, understands response protocols, and prepares for and supports Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) activations. Communications planning and implementation, public education/relations, and event management coordination is also a requirement of this position.
To be considered for this role, applicants should have the following qualifications:
- Two (2) year post-secondary education in Emergency Management in addition to up to one year of JIBC courses (ESS Director, Incident Command System Levels 200 and 300).
- Ability to acquire the Emergency Management certificate from a recognized institution within one (1) year of hire date.
- Incident Command System (ICS) 100.
- Emergency Operations Center (EOC) Essentials.
- Emergency Management Information Officer courses.
- Two (2) years directly related emergency management/preparedness experience, in addition two (2) years of volunteer management experience (both in an employee/career capacity).
- Minimum of five (5) years of local government experience.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s Licence, a current Driver’s Abstract, and a personal vehicle for work related use.
- Satisfactory Police Information Check.
Additional consideration may be given to applicants with the following qualifications:
- Experience with SharePoint Online, Tempest, iCompass, Adobe Pro, and Target Solutions.
- Combination of experience and education.
This position is exempt from the bargaining unit. The 2023 rate for the Emergency Program Manager is $83,000/Yr plus an excellent benefit package. To view the full job description and to apply online, please visit the career page of our website at www.sooke.ca/employment.
This posting will remain open until filled. Review of applications begin on July 10, 2023.
The District of Sooke thanks all applicants for their interest and advises that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.