Engineering and Community Services Technologist
June 8, 2023
The Fraser Valley Regional District is a local government that delivers over 100 services to residents living in our eight electoral areas and six-member municipalities. We are the third most populous regional district in BC, stretching from Mission to Boston Bar. The Fraser Valley offers a great place to work and live with a mix of rural and urban lifestyles along with an abundance of recreational and cultural opportunities.
We have an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, independent individual to fill the full-time position of Engineering and Community Services Technologist.
Under the direction of the Manager of Engineering & Infrastructure, the successful candidate will be reviewing civil design drawings; inspecting the installation of water or sewer mains; collaborating with stakeholders to develop new recycling initiatives at FVRD transfer stations; wading waist-deep in a creek to take stream flow measurements; making permit applications to various Provincial agencies for everything from highway crossings to water licences; writing progress reports for multi-million dollar capital projects, and so much more.
We offer a supportive, team-based work environment with an emphasis on collaboration. We believe in lifelong learning and are committed to providing and supporting training and professional development opportunities for our staff.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A Degree or Diploma in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering or Environmental Sciences with a good understanding of and experience working with environmental issues relating to water and sewer; solid waste; and eligible for registration as an AScT or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Experience in local government service delivery including engineering and utilities;
- Experience in public promotion, managing projects, conducting research and feasibility studies;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to express thoughts and ideas clearly, and converse with technical consultants, staff and the general public;
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to write in a clear and concise manner, prepare well-written technical and administrative reports, and make effective presentations;
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with consultants, contractors, stakeholders, staff, elected officials, advisory bodies and the public;
- Must possess a valid Driver’s Licence.
The start rate for this union position is $36.81 per hour, plus a comprehensive benefits package. Upon successful completion of the required six-month probationary period, the wage will increase to $43.31 per hour.
f this opportunity excites you, and you want to contribute to a positive work environment, we want to hear from you. Please submit your resume, along with a cover letter, indicating how you meet the qualifications. Please quote Competition #2023-30 and send, in confidence, by 4:30 p.m. on July 6, 2023, to email@example.com.