Engineering Assistant II
Requisition ID: 39042
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Engineering Assistant II – Curbside Signage & Data Collection maintains an accurate digital map of curbside regulations, conducts field checks of signage and collecting on-street parking occupancy data, and performs other duties as needed related to on-street parking programs.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
The position reports to the Commercial Parking Engineer and liaises with staff in the Parking Operations and Enforcement, Traffic Operations and Street Operations branches to keep the digital map of curbside regulations up to date. This position connects with others within the Transportation Division and Technology Services as needed.
- Inputs and updates curbside regulations on a digital map using internal GIS-based software;
- Collects data on parking occupancies observed on-street during peak parking hours;
- Conducts field investigations to verify curbside regulations;
- Liaises with other branches to confirm installation schedules;
- Develops processes to keep digital map up to date based on changes from different branches;
- Responds to public and internal requests and complaints in-person, via phone and via email;
- Prepares presentation materials;
- Maintains files, supplies and equipment for data collection;
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education and Experience:
Completion of Grade 12 supplemented with some technical courses related to Civil Engineering Technology and some experience related to work, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of GIS software
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings
- Ability to use AutoCAD would be an asset
- Ability to work well on a team in a business environment
- Ability to work with little or no supervision under tight timelines
- Ability to problem solve with accuracy and detail in a technical environment
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with co-workers
- Ability to be flexible and to accommodate operational needs of the department
- Ability to meet transportation requirements
- Proficiency in Office software such Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel and professional software related to work
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: September, 2023
Position End Date: August, 2025
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-017: $29.13 to $34.23 per hour
Application Close: July 23, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous peoples, people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+ persons including all genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.