Environmental Services Technician
(full-time, up to 2 positions)
July 4, 2023
The Fraser Valley Regional District is a local government that delivers over 100 services to residents living in our eight electoral areas and six-member municipalities. We are the third most populous regional district in BC, stretching from Abbotsford to Boston Bar. The Fraser Valley offers a great place to work and live with a mix of rural and urban lifestyles along with an abundance of recreational and cultural opportunities.
We have an exciting opportunity for up to two (2) dynamic and passionate individuals to join our Environmental Services Team. As an Environmental Services Technician, you will be assisting with projects and initiatives related to regional solid waste, air quality, invasive weed control, mosquito control, and climate action. Largely focussing on efforts to increase recycling and composting and on implementing the FVRD’s Air Quality Management Plan, you will be engaging with residents, businesses, contractors, and other local government staff to deliver programs and services for the FVRD. Reporting to the Manager of Environmental Services, you will be directly contributing to the FVRD’s environmental outreach and education efforts. Your enthusiasm, effective communication and research skills, critical thinking, and ability to write reports and memos will serve you well in this position. If you are an aspiring professional who loves working with the community, cares for the environment, and can work both independently and as part of a team, you will fit right in.
The candidate must have:
- A degree in Environmental Sciences or a related field with a good understanding of, and preferably some experience working with environmental issues relating to the various environmental files handled by this department, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of local government service delivery and municipal waste and air quality management practices is preferred, and knowledge of legislation, policies and procedures pertaining to Regional Districts, would be an asset.
- Preferably experience in project implementation, conducting research and feasibility studies.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to express thoughts and ideas clearly, and converse with a wide range of people including technical consultants, elected officials, staff, and the general public to provide advice
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to write in a clear and concise manner, and to assist with the preparation of technical and administrative reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with consultants, contractors, stakeholders, senior staff, co-workers, team members, elected officials, advisory bodies and the public.
- A valid Driver’s Licence.
The start rate for these full-time union positions is $28.77 per hour plus a comprehensive benefits package. Upon successful completion of the required six-month probationary period, the rate will increase to $33.84 per hour.
If this opportunity excites you, and you want to contribute to a positive work environment, we want to hear from you. Please submit your resume, along with a cover letter, indicating how you meet the qualifications, why you are a good fit for the position. Please quote Competition #2023-33 and send, in confidence, by 4:30 p.m. on July 21, 2023 to email@example.com.