Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen
Competition No. 23-33E-R
Equipment Operator I
Located in the south-central region of B.C., the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen covers an area over 10,400 km2 and is renowned for its orchards, vineyards and golf courses, as well as its widely varied landscape including deserts, mountains and valleys, pristine lakes and outdoor recreational opportunities.
The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen is currently recruiting for an Equipment Operator I to join the Solid Waste team. This position is based at the Oliver Landfill located in Oliver, BC.
The Equipment Operator I position is responsible for contributing to the safe operation and maintenance of heavy mobile equipment of a complex nature according to industry competency standards, safety practices and regulations for the purposes of solid waste management operations.
- Secondary school graduation or equivalent.
- A minimum of three (3) years of heavy equipment operation experience in an industrial, commercial, agricultural system or facility. Preference will be given to operators with excavator experience.
- Landfill Operations Basics Certification or the ability to obtain.
- Compost Facility Operator Certification or the ability to obtain.
- Knowledge of relevant policies, bylaws, procedures, safety methods and occupational hazards in the heavy equipment operation environment.
- Ability to work on a number of concurrent tasks with deadline pressures.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently with limited supervision.
- Ability to work flexible work hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Good physical condition with sufficient strength and stamina to perform heavy manual work in the presence of all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to read maps, plans and prepare sketches for disposal plans.
- Ability to communicate in a courteous and tactful manner.
- Ability to operate mechanical tools and equipment used in the operations, maintenance, installation, and repair of solid waste related works.
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, and Excel).
- Valid First Aid Certificate or the ability to obtain.
- Valid Class 3 with air brake endorsement and 5 B.C. Driver’s Licenses.
This regular, full-time position is included in the BCGEU bargaining unit. The hourly wage for the position is $33.91, Paygrade 5, plus an attractive fringe benefits package.
Qualified individuals are invited to submit their application in PDF format quoting Competition No. 23-33E-R by 4:00 pm, Wednesday, July 26, 2023 to:
Human Resources Department
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.