Equipment Operator IVa – Backhoe (Sewer Operations)
Requisition ID: 38920
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Equipment Operator IVa (Backhoe) works under the supervision and direction of a Working Foreman, Sub-Foreman, and/or Equipment Guide.
The Equipment Operator IVa (Backhoe) must operate in accordance to Branch Safe Operating Procedures and with WorkSafe BC rules and regulations. The successful candidate must also exercise considerable independent judgement in adapting standard and safe operating techniques to a variety of difficult and complex work situations
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the crew in the performance of a variety of maintenance and construction duties.
- Complete pre trip inspection reports as required by the City of Vancouver and CVSE (Commercial Vehicle Safety & Enforcement).
- Keep and submit accurate time slips daily and written records.
- Effectively carry out verbal and written instructions.
- Clean, service, perform minor repairs and routine maintenance to the equipment and accessories, and other duties as required.
- As a representative of the City, interact with supervisors, co-workers and members of the public in an effective, courteous and respectful manner.
- Excavate and load material.
- Ensure the cab of the backhoe is kept clean and tidy.
- Place and remove various wooden and modular shoring
- Backfill and operate compaction equipment and other hydraulic attachments
- Operate the backhoe in a safe, consistent, and efficient manner.
- Read and understand utility package.
- Perform other related tasks as required.
Education and Experience:
- Grade 10 or an equivalent combination of experience and training. If grade 10 is not completed, Superintendents will assess an equivalent combination of experience and training as measured by night school, City courses, workshops, and seminars.
- Heavy equipment operator training from a skilled trades recognized post-secondary institution would be an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of excavating and loading procedures; proper lifting techniques and the precautions necessary in avoiding accidents when operating heavy equipment.
- Knowledge and understanding of all rules and regulations for proper work site safety, such as traffic control, confined space, shoring, etc.
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude of an appropriate degree to safely operate, maintain, and make minor repairs; and arrange for servicing and repairs for backhoes.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, effectively and cooperatively in writing and verbally with coworkers, contractors, business owners and members of the public
- Ability to work from engineering drawings and sketches and to fully understand the design and utility information contained.
- Ability to follow supervisor’s directions.
- Demonstrated ability to assist crew(s) with all work functions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are essential along with the ability to create and maintain a functional team and cooperative environment among staff and the public.
- Considerable knowledge of procedures for working safety around and underground utilities and services.
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a Satisfactory National Safety Code driving record
- 5 years accumulation of no more than 9 points, not in excess of 3 points per single year
- 3 years accumulation of no more than 1 preventable work related driving or equipment operating accident in any single year
- Employees who do not demonstrate a satisfactory driving record will have their application reviewed in more detail
- Candidates must attach the following to be considered:
- Commercial Driving Records Abstract (N Print) for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting)
- Insurance and Claims History for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting)
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 N/Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: August 2023
Number of Positions Available: 2
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-345: $34.38 per hour
Application Close: July 25, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous peoples, people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+ persons including all genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.