FireSmart BC Outreach Coordinator
TITLE OF IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Home Partners Program Provincial Coordinator
ORGANIZATION(s): Pyriscence Consulting (FireSmart BC, Fire Chiefs Association BC, BCAA)
*The Incumbent is an independent contractor and not a servant or employee of the above organizations when performing or providing services.
DURATION OF CONTRACT: 3 years; continuation likely to occur
WAGE: $85,000/year (reviewed annually)
SHIFT / HOURS OF WORK:
The Contractor may exercise considerable independent judgment and action in organizing their work routines, schedules, handling technical work problems, and performing tasks to achieve deliverables.
From time to time, the incumbent may be required to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays to meet operational requirements.
CONDITIONS OF WORK:
Regular travel throughout the province of British Columbia may be requested and is a requirement of this position.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The incumbent will support building and sustaining the capacity for communities to begin or develop FireSmart programs and reduce the effects of wildfire events in high-risk, under-served, under-resourced and under-supported communities across the province of British Columbia. This will include all aspects of wildfire resiliency from identifying key positions in a community,
- Reach at risk, under resourced communities and help them stand up and sustain FireSmart BC programs.
- Support homeowners in identified communities’ complete mitigation actions outlined in Home Partners Program (HPP) assessments.
- Work with local authority management to inform policy around new development and existing structures to include FireSmart considerations into bylaws and other community fire planning.
- Increase awareness of BCAA and FireSmart BC/HPP through strategic marketing, communications and storytelling.
FIRESMART BC OUTREACH COORDINATOR DUTIES:
- Work with at risk communities to establish or develop a FireSmart program.
- Support identified communities’ grant application submissions, reviews and reporting.
- Coordinate with local emergency management, government agencies, public works, politicians and any other personnel that supports wildfire resiliency.
- Work with the Home Partners Program Provincial Coordinator to develop a plan to identify, introduce and support a HPP into high-risk, under-served, under-resourced and under-supported communities.
- Manage a budget.
- Work collaboratively with the HPP Provincial Coordinator, FireSmart BC and BCAA to promote the coordinated delivery of FireSmart programs in the Province of BC.
- Participate in and comply with FireSmart training.
- Support HPP training, workshops and engagement, contact, outreach, scheduling and delivery.
- Support First Nations and Local governments develop or grow FireSmart programs including the HPP.
- Support research, literature review and associated subcommittees regarding the effectiveness, need and application of FireSmart initiatives.
- Establish and maintain program contact lists on a regular basis to assist FireSmart remain in contact with and update HPP participating communities.
- Support liaising with the insurance industry and other related agencies or entities.
- Other duties as required.
- Two year diploma in the field of Science, Forest Technology, Natural Resource Management, Structural Firefighting or other relevant field.
- Two years experience working in wildfire, structure fire, emergency management, forestry or a combination of these.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience would be considered for this position.
- Previous experience delivering education and training in a professional setting.
- Local FireSmart Representative designation, or willing to attain
- Wildfire Mitigation Specialist Designation or willing to attain
- Successful completion of S100 Fire Suppression or SPP-WFF1 course
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and a satisfactory Driver’s Abstract
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge in wildfire behavior and wildfire management principles.
- Knowledge of the FireSmart Home Partners Program and other FireSmart BC & Canada programs.
- General knowledge and awareness of emergency management, planning, forestry, landscaping and building construction principals.
- Ability to work with and provide education to the public in a one on one and group setting.
- Ability to make professional group presentations.
- Ability to work independently within a collaborative teamwork approach.
- Proficiency in report writing and reviewing skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proficient computer and written communication skills.
HOW TO APPLY
If this job seems like a fit for you, email your resume over to email@example.com with the subject “FireSmart Outreach Coordinator”.