Live where you work
Cowichan Valley Regional District
General Manager, Operations
Type: Regular Full-Time Exempt
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Applications: Qualified applicants are invited to apply online at careers-cvrd.icims.com
Competition Number: 23114-E
Majestic mountains, the rugged West Coast Trail, serene lakes, and one of the world’s tallest free-standing timber rail trestles all lie in the picturesque Cowichan Valley Regional District (CVRD). Located on Vancouver Island, the CVRD provides a wide range of local government services to a population of 80,000 within its 4 distinct municipalities and 9 electoral areas. Just 50 km north of Victoria and 30 km south of Nanaimo, the Cowichan Valley offers a warm climate and numerous parks, recreational, cultural, and social opportunities.
The Cowichan Valley Regional District is inviting qualified applicants to submit an application package for the position of General Manager, Operations. This full-time exempt, senior management role reports directly to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) and provides innovation leadership, strategic direction, and works collaboratively with the Division and Section Heads to ensure effective and efficient delivery of all services in the Department. The General Manager participates as a key member on the Senior Management Team and may function as Acting CAO in the CAO’s absence. The General Manager also provides strategic direction and operational advice to the Board, CAO, and Senior Management Team.
The General Manager, Operations oversees a broad portfolio that includes:
- Utilities, including sewer and water utilities, streetlighting and drainage.
- Recycling & Waste Management, including the regional waste transfer station, three manned drop-off depots and a Curbside Collection Program.
- Parks & Trails, including Parks Planning and Stewardship and Parks Operations.
As the ideal applicant, you are an effective communicator and collaborator with a proven ability to inspire, strengthen and empower a high-performing team. You have experience as a hands-on senior leader able to think long term and deliver on the strategic goals of the CVRD. You are comfortable managing many different priorities concurrently and have the ability to move projects forward in a multi-stakeholder environment.
As the General Manager you will have:
- A university degree in Civil, Environmental, or Mechanical Engineering, or related discipline
- An appropriate combination of training in management, local government administration, strategic planning, leadership, and organizational development
- A minimum of eight (8) years of related experience, including five (5) years of experience managing multiple functions at a senior level, preferably in a local government setting
- Experience managing and providing leadership to employees and volunteers
- Membership in the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC is preferred
- A Certificate in Local Government Administration is preferred
- A valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
A full job description listing all the job requirements can be viewed online at careers-cvrd.icims.com.
Hours of Work:
The typical work week is 35 hours and will include evenings and weekends as operationally needed. Flextime is offered with this position. In addition, this position offers an opportunity for a hybrid in-office / Work-From-Home arrangement.
Join this dedicated team of professionals that takes pride in providing essential services to the residents of the Cowichan Valley. The CVRD offers a competitive salary ranging from $158,283 to $185,191 per year commensurate with education and experience. A comprehensive benefits package including extended health / dental / insurance, pension, paid vacation is also offered.
To Apply: If you are interested in continuing your career path in this challenging and rewarding leadership role, please submit your cover letter and resume in confidence. Please include a driver’s abstract with your application.