Capital Regional District
GIS Systems Analyst
Finance & Technology – Information Technology & GIS
Competition Number: 23/150
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Hours of Work: 70 hours bi-weekly
Rate of Pay: $47.30 to $53.58 per hour
Review of applications are currently being reviewed and this posting will remain open until filled.
The GIS Systems Analyst is an integral part of a team responsible for the design, technical implementation and ongoing support of the CRD’s Geographic Information System and Land Information System. This position is critical in the support and administration of the Corporation’s enterprise geodatabases and providing highly technical system solutions that support organizational strategy and business goals.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
People working in this role can expect to be responsible for performing the following duties. This list is not meant to be comprehensive and other related duties similar in scope and complexity may be performed.
- Acts as the primary database technical lead for the CRD’s spatial information systems.
- Develops relational databases to meet CRD business needs and/or the needs of external clients.
- Works closely with the Supervisor, GIS & Asset Integration on the utilization and support of web based GIS applications.
- Undertakes data compilation, modeling, and analysis, using GIS and other tools in order to produce maps, reports, dashboards etc.
- Implements and promotes the CRD’s spatial open data strategy.
- Recommends, plans, and executes improvement and transformation initiatives.
- Prepares estimates for the development of a business case and project costing of new projects.
- Executes projects using current project management and system development life cycle standards and adheres to ITIL change management principles.
- Uses application development tools to develop system prototypes to meet corporate business needs related to the support and management of GIS.
- Assists in the development and implementation of GIS and land systems with adherence to systems development life cycle.
- Maintains enterprise level data such as cadastre, address, and zoning etc.
- Provides expert enterprise level technical guidance and advice to internal and external clients.
- Follows all policies, procedures and standards of the CRD.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Degree in Computer Science or related discipline plus 6 years’ related experience, or a Diploma in Computer Science and nine years related experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To be successful at the CRD, candidates should have a shared understanding of our Cultural Traits and Statement of Reconciliation with Indigenous peoples. Additionally, ideal candidates would possess the following role-specific knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and customer service skills are required
- Extensive knowledge, skills and hands on experience with enterprise GIS databases using ArcSDE (ArcGIS Server 10.4-10.6) within an IT environment, utilizing physical and virtual servers.
- Extensive knowledge of SQL / T-SQL.
- Knowledge of methods, practices, and techniques of database modelling.
- Experience developing mapping and data solutions for the World Wide Web
- Proficient developing, working with, and troubleshooting Web Services (REST, ASP.Net Web API, SOAP, WCF).
- Knowledge of Microsoft based server technologies including IIS.
- Advanced level knowledge and skills using GIS software, specifically the ESRI ArcGIS Enterprise platform including the data tier, web services tier and the client tier.
- Experience with open source web mapping software.
- Knowledge of open data strategies and methodology is an asset.
- Experience with Socrata, ESRI open data portal or similar open data portals is an asset.
- Knowledge and application of advanced statistical analysis.
- Ability to work independently, problem solve and to perform all duties with minimal direction.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Commitment to keep current with new technologies and skill sets.
- Strong project management, time management, prioritization, and organizational skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Power BI is an asset.
- Ability to work effectively under deadline pressures.
- Ability to be a strong team member and promote team work and collaboration.
- Experience with Geocortex product suite and ArcGIS Online.
We welcome all qualified applicants to apply and may consider a combination of experience, education and/or training where possible.