Growth Services Manager
Finance /Accounting / Economics
Town of Drayton Valley
Jul 10, 2023
This position is responsible for promoting, facilitating, and enhancing economic initiatives for the Growth Services department across key sectors as identified by Council and Senior Leadership. This is cultivated by liaising with various non-profit, business, economic, industry, and government groups to ensure development, retention, expansion, and investment attraction continues in the Town of Drayton Valley. Working closely with Senior Leadership and Council and engaging staff across the organization this position will strategically develop support around specific projects, implement complex projects and work collaboratively with local, regional, provincial, national, and international business leaders, government representatives and sector specialists.
This position is responsible for overall management and supervision of the execution in the planning and development of projects and activities for the Economic Development team, which includes:
- Economic Development
- Education and Energy teams. This includes adhering to and enforcing all responsibilities as outlined in the Town’s Policy and Procedures.
This position is responsible for full cooperation with all aspects of the Town’s Health & Safety program, including compliance with all rules and regulations, and for continually practicing safety while performing their duties.
This position reports to: General Manager of Planning & Growth → Chief Administrative Officer
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Leads development of the Town of Drayton Valley’s Economic Development strategy and work plan and ensures the team remains on task to the strategy and work plan.
- Provides leadership, mentorship, direction, and supervision to the Growth Services team.
- Guides development of business plans and ensures services and outcomes align with Council’s Vision, Corporate Strategic Plan, Municipal Development Plan, Corporate Business Plan, and department mandate, ensuring that processes, resources, and systems are in place to complete the planned activities.
- Attends Council meetings when required to support issues directly or indirectly related to the Growth Services department.
- Ensures that opportunities for growth, and/or development opportunities for the Town are actively pursued.
- Facilitates the development and implementation of strategic projects that support growth in the targeted sectors by Council and senior leadership.
- Builds networks across the region and beyond that can be leveraged to help achieve outcomes, including participating in a variety of regional economic development, education and energy/sustainability related committees and chambers.
- Acts as a liaison and point of contact to the organization within the industry.
- Provides relevant support and serves as a “connector” for the Town’s existing business community with the goal of helping them grow and prosper.
- Facilitates responses to enquiries from the business community and the public by providing support to a wide range of proposals for development, expansion, and relocation.
- Prepares complex confidential and public correspondence, reports, and briefings, delivers presentations on behalf of the team, and provides professional advice related to economic development, education, energy to the Chief Administrative Officer, Senior Leadership and Town Council, the public and other stakeholders.
- Oversees a variety of studies and projects including researching, assembling, analyzing, and interpreting data related to the Growth Services team.
- Evaluates the implications of various commercial, industrial, and other development proposals in the context of the Town’s economic development strategies, plans and policies.
- Builds and maintains relationships with all Town departments to facilitate business development and works with staff across departments to remove or address roadblocks to development opportunities.
- Develops marketing programs and related materials to promote the Town’s economic development, education, and energy programs.
- Works with Community Services in support of events that showcase the products of businesses in the Town of Drayton Valley.
- Represents the Town of Drayton Valley at conferences and workshops, addresses, and networks with committees, boards, and others to promote the Town’s economic development, education and energy programs.
- Oversees grant and funding research, pursuit, and applications.
- Ensures the establishment and maintenance of department relevant databases of demographic and market research materials from regional, provincial, national, and international sources.
- Develops, measures, monitors, and reports key corporate performance measures and prepares reports as required.
- Follows the Town’s policy and procedures and Health & Safety guidelines.
- Ensures a customer service culture through leadership, accountability, and recognition.
- Actively participates as a member of the Management team, setting annual goals and performance expectations.
- Ensures the development, implementation and maintenance of policy and procedures relevant to Economic Development, Education and Energy are up to date and abide by any applicable legislation and regulations.
- Presents to Council and other stakeholders as required.
- Completes special projects and other duties as required.
DECISION MAKING ROLE
Works under general direction and guidance of the General Manager of Planning & Growth. A high degree of independent thinking is required for meeting The Town of Drayton Valley’s goals and completion of Economic Development strategies and projects.
The position is responsible for making decisions on what activities to focus time and attention relevant to the Corporate Strategic Plan.
This is also decision support position and is responsible for making recommendations to others, such as the CAO, Senior Leadership and Council, who will make decisions affecting the Town.
MAJOR INTER-PERSONAL CONTACTS
This position is a leadership role and will be required to provide mentorship, support, and guidance to an internal Economic Development team.
This position will also need to foster positive relationships within the Economic Development team and between all Town departments, ensuring effective customer service.
This position is responsible for supervision of staff and operations for the Growth Services Department.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Accounting, Business, Economics. Equivalent knowledge derived from a combination of significant work experience and accounting courses would be considered.
- Eligibility for mentorship in the Economic Developers Association of Canada.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- A minimum of 7 – 10 years’ experience in a similar municipal role or position.
- Project management skills are required.
- Management responsibilities are an asset.
- Demonstrated leadership skills by encouraging employee participation and development; facilitating professional working standards and obtaining a high degree of customer satisfaction.
- Has the ability to analyze problems, identify alternative solutions and implement recommendations to meet goals of the department and organization.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work efficiently.
- Ability to work independently, self-starter and energetic.
- Ability to perform at high levels in a fast-paced ever-changing work environment with minimal direction.
- Experience liaising with post-secondary institutions and government agencies, or related experience is considered an asset.
- Must maintain a high degree of confidentiality and professionalism.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS & OTHER CONSIDERATIONS
- Willingness to attend training sessions as required by the employer.
- Willingness to work weekends and unscheduled hours during major emergencies and or when strict deadlines are needed.
Please submit a cover letter and resume clearly outlining your education, experience, and qualifications as they relate to this position and submit via email to HR@draytonvalley.ca
Applications can also be mailed to or dropped off at:
Attention: Human Resources
Town of Drayton Valley 5120-52 Street, Box 6837 Drayton Valley, AB T7A 1A1