City of Penticton
Heavy Duty Mechanic
Job End Date: 23-Jul-2023
Employment Type: Full-time Permanent
Location: Penticton, BC, CAN V2A 5A9
Exact Location: Penticton, BC, Canada
JB Classification: CUPE
Min Salary: 36.77
Max Salary: 40.50
Benefits: Competitive wages, benefit and pension package. Opportunities for career development and professional advancement, including financial support for professional development. A diverse, inclusive and supportive workplace. Wellness incentives, Earned Time Off Program, flexible work environments, and Federal & BC statutory holidays.
Penticton is a vibrant, innovative, healthy waterfront city focused on sustainability, community, and economic opportunity. At the City of Penticton, our goal is to serve our residents, businesses, and visitors through good governance, partnership and the delivery of effective and community-focused services. The City of Penticton’s Fleet Department is in search of a highly skilled and energetic individual for the permanent position of Heavy Duty Mechanic.
Reporting to the Fleet Supervisor, the Heavy Duty Mechanic is responsible for performing diagnostics and repairing vehicles and mechanical equipment. The Heavy Duty Mechanic is also responsible for diagnosing and repairing on and off-road equipment in the field, and working on vehicles and equipment with high horsepower, and high torque Diesel engines with complex emission systems.
The City of Penticton Fleet Services Department supports all departments within the municipality. We service, maintain, and repair vehicles from the RDOS, RCMP, Penticton Fire Department, all City Vehicles/equipment as well as our own Electrical Utility Department.
- Provide routine scheduled maintenance, troubleshooting and diagnostics, repairs and inspections to light-duty automotive, commercial transport and construction equipment and specialty Utility equipment. This includes aerial devices and also repair of a wide variety of municipal tools and equipment.
- Perform Motor Vehicle Inspections, periodic and annual aerial inspections, Fire Pump inspections on fire apparatuses, as well as scheduled inspections on a wide variety of municipal equipment.
- Work on high-pressure hydraulic systems, complex electronic systems, high-pressure air systems, and air brake systems.
- Perform work on vehicles and equipment with high horsepower, high torque Diesel engines with regulation-compliant emission systems.
- Complete all necessary data entry and completion of electronic Repair Orders in the CFA Fleet Maintenance program and Shop Floor program.
- Perform service “field” calls for vehicles/equipment located at different terminals or requiring repairs off-site.
- In conjunction with Fleet Service Coordinator, source and order parts for repair, maintenance and improvements to vehicles.
- Adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures and ensure that health and safety regulations are met.
- Maintain and repair snow control equipment and attachments.
- May be required to provide and receive assistance and training from other staff.
- Tire maintenance, exchange and repair on small equipment and automotive units.
- Maintain compliance with the City’s Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Maintain cleanliness in areas of work.
- Performs other related work as assigned.
Education, Training & Experience:
- Red Seal Inter-Provincial Heavy Duty or Commercial Transport mechanic certification.
- Minimum valid B.C. Driver’s Licence – Class 1 or Class 3 with Air Endorsement.
- Valid Fire Apparatus EVT Certification is an asset.
- Valid BC Motor Vehicle Inspection Certification.
- Minimum five (5) years of practical experience, with detailed knowledge of preventative maintenance practices and repair procedures on heavy-duty vehicles and equipment, preferably those related to a municipal/transportation organization.
- Experience using Fleet Maintenance software (CFA Fleet Maintenance and Shop Floor software preferred).
- Possess a history of service, diagnostics and repair on Wheel Loaders, Backhoes, Sewer flush trucks, Regenerative Road sweepers, Electrical Department Utility Vehicles, Light duty automotive vehicles, heavy-duty on-road vehicles, Ice Resurface Machines, Trommel Screeners, winter snow maintenance and associated small equipment.
- Experience with disassembly, repair and reassembling Heavy Duty as well as automotive components such as engines, transmissions, cooling systems, fuel and exhaust systems, brakes, clutches, differentials, hydraulics, electrical systems and lubrication systems.
- Experience utilizing Fleet Maintenance software combined with computer literacy in Microsoft Office tasks (email, calendar, etc.).
- Experience working in a municipal fleet shop environment with other licensed tradespeople.
- Aerial apparatus inspection experience is an asset.
- Must possess a complete set of hand tools associated with the trade.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Superior skills in electrical and hydraulic diagnostics on a diverse array of equipment, including the ability to use available proprietary diagnostic software.
- Demonstrated ability to understand, diagnose and repair multiplex wiring systems.
- Knowledge of BC Motor Vehicle Act regulations and National Safety Code requirements.
- Necessary knowledge of shop safety and WorkSafe Regulations.
- Knowledge and experience with road maintenance and snow control equipment.
- Knowledge and experience in fleet maintenance practices and processes.
- Strong communication skills, decision-making capabilities and a desire to continually improve.
- The ability to exercise courtesy and tact in the exchange of routine information with other city employees, employees of private companies and the general public.
- The ability to weld is an asset.
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as work independently.
- Must possess strong organizational and planning skills with attention to detail.
- Must be able to reference electronic and/or written service and parts manuals for correct information.
At the City of Penticton, we recognize that great talent and great ideas come from a variety of backgrounds. Tapping into the diversity of our community makes us all stronger and allows us to serve Penticton even better.
That’s why we welcome all applicants to consider joining our team. We encourage Indigenous persons, people of colour, all genders and expressions, 2SLGBT2QIA+, persons living with disabilities, and others who reflect our ever-changing workplace to apply.
So, if your experience is close to what we’re looking for, we would love a chance to talk about working with you. We welcome your cover letter and resume by July 23, 2023.
Position type: Full-time Permanent (40 hours per week)
Wage: $36.77 – $40.50 per hour (Trades Schedule “B”, CUPE)
Premiums: $0.40 per hour (Trades Premium)
Benefits: Attractive benefits, vacation and pension package
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.