House Technician II (RFT)
Job order – J0623-1993 – Regular Full-Time
Title House Technician II (RFT)
Category Cultural Services (incl. Theatre)
City Port Moody, British Columbia, Canada
The City of Port Moody is seeking an experienced technician to join our fast-paced and creative team to provide technical support on a regular, full-time basis for Inlet Theatre, a two hundred-seat community theatre.
Each year Inlet Theatre hosts over two hundred and fifty events including: concerts, children’s theatre, film and filming, dance, corporate and council functions, fashion shows and annual film and arts festivals. The House Technician II provides expertise to this broad range of theatre renters in the areas of lighting, sound, audio/visual and set installation and is responsible for general special events set-up as needed.
This position meets with theatre clients to determine their technical requirements and to ensure all theatre events are supported in a professional manner. The House Technician II will schedule auxiliary staff, and will operate equipment during events, including evening Council meetings. This position is responsible for the maintenance of all technical equipment related to the theatre.
Hours of work for this position may include evening and weekend shifts.
- Communicate with a variety of clients and user groups to identify technical needs and logistics.
- Display expert knowledge on the operation, policies, methods, and best practices of theatre operations.
- Determine the cost, time, resources, and actions required to effectively support City and rental events.
- Set-up and operate audio, visual and lighting equipment for City and theatre rentals.
- Support City Council meetings, through set-up and operation of a variety of production equipment.
- Schedule and provide direction to Auxiliary Technicians and Front of House staff.
- Utilize independent thinking and creative problem solving to ensure successful performance/events.
- Troubleshoot, adapt, document, and create workflows to address processes and issues.
- Assist with planning, organization and day-of tasks for events supported by Cultural Services Department.
- Perform annual and ongoing equipment maintenance in a safe manner.
- Diploma in theatre stagecraft or equivalent technical theatre program, LPEC certification, plus a minimum of two years of related experience with the safe set up, operation, and maintenance of entertainment industry technical equipment and strong knowledge of the technical and logistical requirements for a wide variety of events
- Experience with the skilled operation of lighting, audio and A/V equipment; experience with lifts and hoists is an asset
- Supervisory / crew chief experience and knowledge of policies, codes and regulations governing theatrical operations
- Ability to work and troubleshoot independently
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to determine clients’ needs
- A valid BC driver’s licence
Please note that employment with the City of Port Moody is subject to the receipt of a satisfactory police information check as well as a satisfactory driver’s abstract.
The City of Port Moody strives to be an employer of choice and offers an excellent benefits package, as well as professional development opportunities.
Closing Date: July 16, 2023