City of Port Alberni
Human Resources / Safety Advisor
The City of Port Alberni is a community of over 18,000 people. Located centrally on Vancouver Island, we are a well-serviced and growing municipality that offers residents affordable west coast living, as well as proximity to oceans, lakes, rivers and mountains.
The City of Port Alberni is currently looking for a Human Resources / Safety Advisor to join a progressive and dynamic organization that provides a full range of programs and services to taxpayers. This position reports to the Director of Human Resources.
This position is responsible for supporting the delivery of the City’s human resources and occupational health and safety functions including:
- Providing advice, support and assistance to all City departments regarding a broad range of human resource matters
- Leading and supporting staffing-related functions including identifying staffing needs, leading full-cycle recruitment initiatives, developing and implementing creative recruitment solutions
- Supporting the development, implementation and maintenance of human resource and occupational health and safety programs, policies, standards and practices
- Assisting managers in resolving employee and labour relations inquiries, grievances or issues in accordance with applicable collective agreement provisions, policies and/or legislation
- Coordinating the City’s occupational health and safety program, promoting and supporting health and safety in the workplace, and acting as a resource for all safety initiatives for the City
- Advising staff on relevant legislation and regulations, programs, procedures and best practises
- Supporting various safety processes including hazard assessments, safety inspections and investigations, and developing safe work procedures
- Maintaining the City’s WorkSafeBC Certificate of Recognition (COR) program and conducting internal audits as required
Qualifications & Experience:
- Completion of a degree or diploma in Human Resource Management or a related field. A certificate in Occupational Health and Safety would be an asset.
- A minimum of 3 years’ related experience in human resource management and/or safety administration, preferably in a unionized environment.
- An equivalent combination of education and directly related experience may be considered.
- A sound knowledge of human resource management and occupational health and safety principles, best practices and applicable legislation and regulations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and research skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of initiative and self-direction; ability to multi-task and prioritize a high volume of work.
- The successful candidate will be required to complete OFA Level 1 and CPR-C/AED certifications, as well as the Certified Internal Auditor certification (BC Municipal Safety Association) within 6 months.
This is an exempt position. A competitive salary is offered in addition to a comprehensive benefit package and a flex-day work schedule. Interested candidates may apply by forwarding a resume and cover letter by 4:30 pm on July 31, 2023:
Attention: Human Resources
By mail: City of Port Alberni, 4850 Argyle Street, Port Alberni, BC V9Y 1V8
By email: email@example.com
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected to be interviewed will be contacted.