Instrument Mechanic / Technologist IV
Position Status: Full-Time Temporary (This position to last not later than December 31, 2023)
Department: Liquid Waste Services
Employee Group: GVRDEU
Location: Annacis WWTP, Delta
Salary Range/ Wage Rate: $3,616.80 bi-weekly plus 6.25% deferred compensation
Our Liquid Waste Services Department is seeking an Instrument Mechanic / Technologist IV who will join our team to install, repair and maintain Instrumentation equipment and ensure reliability for operations to maintain the highest standards for Wastewater Treatment. You will be primarily working at the Annacis Island location.
You are: A career oriented, safety conscious, self-starting, team player with excellent instrumentation aptitude, skills and ability.
This role: (The duties described hereunder are intended to be representative of the position and are not to be considered all inclusive.)
- Maintenance, installation and repair of industrial analytical process control equipment used throughout water and wastewater facilities. Equipment maintained typically include electronic, pneumatic, and hydraulic instrumentation for measuring, transmitting, recording and controlling process variables, rain gauges, data loggers, chlorination, dechlorination, portable and stationary gas detection systems, industrial analytical, and instrumentation hardware interfaces associated with the District’s SCADA, CDAC and PLC control systems.
- Primarily engaged in predictive, preventive and corrective maintenance activities as well as participation in work with other department and trades to complete modification improvements to existing process control systems. This work to include calibration of analytical equipment, trouble shooting and resolution, maintenance of records drawings, instrument and CMMS record data.
- Works in compliance with all District safety policies, procedures and WorkSafe BC regulations.
- Trains and directs Instrumentation apprentices.
- Maintains technical currency related to the trade.
- Develops documentation for work-related procedures.
- May act for supervisor as required.
To be successful, you have:
- Grade 12, plus graduation from a recognized technical school in the field of instrumentation (BCIT Technologist Diploma or equivalent) and 3 years working experience in the instrumentation field, or Trade Qualification Certificate as a Journeyman Instrumentation Mechanic.
- Thorough knowledge of process controls, collection and water flow measurement, and the Canadian Electrical Code as adopted by the Province of British Columbia as it relates to instrumentation work.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally, in writing and visually distinguish colours used in wire and instrument process line colour-coding. Must be able to read instrumentation loop, schematic and P&ID drawings, write reports and participate in developing safe work procedures.
- Demonstrated initiative and proven ability to work with minimal supervision as part of an integrated maintenance team.
- Must be computer literate and able to use applications such as Word and Excel, including an ability to understand and work with a computerized managed maintenance system (CMMS).
- Work experience and programming knowledge of control loops that utilize “Smart” instruments, PLC’s and/or distributed control systems would be an asset.
- Must participate in and develop Safe Work Procedures.
- Must provide own basic hand tools.
- Must be available to work shift-work, standby and participate in crew rotations as required.
- Must possess a valid BC driver’s license.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and being representative of the region we serve. We invite all qualified candidates to apply including Indigenous People, visible minorities, immigrants, 2SLGBTQI+, all genders and persons with disabilities.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by July 31, 2023.