IT Support Technician
Position Reports To: Manager of Information Services
Job ID: P23-21
Salary: $80,000 – $100,000
As the primary IT person, the IT Support Technician provides technical support and performs proactive IT duties to support the County’s overall operations. This includes, but is not limited to customer service, helpdesk & deskside support, working with external vendors where necessary to provide and ensure top service and support. Additionally, they will monitor and maintain technology and licensing, support 24/7 access, create and maintain documentation, train staff, assist in the development and support of workflow automation, evaluate and respond to security incidents, and help to support system’s connectivity and reliability through all of the County’s facilities.
- Maintain good communication and provide proactive customer service, training, technical support, and request fulfillment in a helpdesk, deskside, and remote work capacity to Council, all staff, and stakeholders.
- Work closely with key vendors and suppliers on various relevant contract services, licensing, and support.
- Ensure proper purchasing, proactive support and documentation of IT assets and contracts, including asset lifecycles and replacements and maintain stock of required peripherals according to the budget.
- Support, install, maintain, document, and respond to requests and incidents regarding computer hardware, desktops, laptops, internet, software, local servers, printing, scanning, mailing, E-mail, productivity tools, MS Teams, phone systems, AV, remote access, mobile devices, peripherals, azure cloud servers, virtual desktop, and security etc., across all facets of the County.
- Ensure AV (Audio Visual) equipment in Council Chambers, ECC rooms and all meeting rooms are in good working order.
- Support and run conference calls, and meeting room resources during Council meetings or other special meetings as scheduled or required.
- Perform onboarding orientations, offboarding, user account administration duties including active directory, group polices, E-mail, cloud service, file permissions, and application permissions.
- Support corporate and BYOD mobile phones and maintain the MDM system.
- Develop tips, tricks, and guides for staff on applications, processes, or tools.
- Assist and support in the rolling out of new software, workflow automation tools, and processes.
- Work with the business, coordinate and develop workflow automation through tools such as Laserfiche Forms. Training can be provided.
- Ensure adherence to all applicable Wheatland County policies and bylaws.
- Assist the Manager of Information Services with the continuous improvement of security, technology, and information related policies.
- Responsible, with elevated access and visibility, to use confidential information appropriately and maintain the confidentiality and security of all information related to the County.
- Contribute to continuous improvement and innovation of County systems and processes.
- Perform tasks, consistent with the position, including special projects / assignments, as may be required on an ad hoc basis, and as assigned by the Manager of Information Services.
Other Duties as Required:
- Support and assist in maintaining physical records and ECM systems by operating as a backup to the Information Management Specialist. Training will be provided.
- Provide backup to the Facilities Supervisor for building access security card administration. Training will be provided.
Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S):
- Ensure compliance with OH&S including attendance at safety meetings, being properly trained in OH&S related topics (e.g. Emergency Management training and exercises), and ensuring work is completed in a safe manner.
- Completion of a post-secondary education in Information systems and/or 5+ years of experience in tier 2 general IT support and operations, ideally with a rural municipality.
- A+, MCSE, and/or MCDST certified, and/or Azure fundamentals and/or equivalent proven experience working in a diverse technology environment supporting hardware, software and Azure in a tier 1 and 2 capacity.
- ITIL Foundations Certified and/or proven equivalent IT operations knowledge/experience.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills, including written, verbal / interpersonal.
- Effective problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Effective organizational and time management skills; comfortable managing a variety of priorities concurrently in a fast-paced environment.
- Valid Class 5 Alberta drivers’ license and clean driver’s abstract.
Expected Skills and Attributes:
- Proficient technical skills in the facets of deskside, server and Azure support and strong understanding of MS Office (M365) and MS Teams and general productivity tools.
- Proficient with supporting desktop hardware, Windows 10 or 11, meeting rooms, printers, office software and general CoTS or SaaS applications.
- Experience with servers, mobile device management, Azure, Microsoft Virtual Desktop.
- Proficient in supporting mainly Android and some Apple mobile devices.
- Audio visual experience is considered an asset.
- Familiarity with supporting corporate networks is considered an asset.
- SQL and reporting knowledge are considered an asset.
- Microsoft Dynamics GP experience is considered an asset.
- Experience gathering requirements and helping to create or select business solutions is considered and asset.
- Knowledge of ECM/document management and workflow automation tools such as Laserfiche, SharePoint, Power Automate, MS Flow, or OpenText is considered a significant asset.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics GP is considered an asset.
- Full stack programming (JS, HTML, SQL, CSS, PYTHON, PHP, or C#) experience is considered an asset.
- This position works a 5-day work week, Monday to Friday, with at least one day off in a 3-week cycle; hours of work: standard 37.5 hour work week.
- Required to be on-site within the County administration buildings, which is 5 minutes east of Strathmore; some work from home flexibility will also be available and will largely depend on projects, team schedule, and demand.
- Working at all municipal buildings including repair shops, water treatment facilities, fire halls and other external sites as required. Suitable personal protective equipment will be required depending on the environment.
- Working outside normal office hours may be required for rare emergencies (on call) or for pre-scheduled meeting support and IT changes.
Closing Date: July 10, 2023
Apply on our website at: https://wheatlandcounty.ca/career-opportunities/it-support-technician-2/