Labour Relations Coordinator
Position Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Regional Employers Services
Employee Group: Exempt
Location: 4515 Central Boulevard, Burnaby
Our Regional Employers Services Department is seeking a Labour Relations Coordinator who will support collective bargaining across the region by creating, organizing, analyzing, and sharing critical documents and data.
You are: a highly organized and analytical person who is familiar with collective bargaining and who strives to anticipate where and when information may be needed. You are able to maintain the integrity of procedures and achieve a high level of accuracy in the face of time pressures.
The Labour Relations Coordinator reports to the Division Manager, Collective Bargaining and falls within our Professional / Technical, Level 1 job family.
- Performs detailed technical work in support of the Collective Bargaining Division. Coordinates the collection and summary of data and accesses information readily during and subsequent to bargaining. Responds to requests for information from client municipalities. Consults departmental staff to ensure accuracy and pertinence of the information to be provided.
- Participates in bargaining meetings and mediation sessions, provides support to employer bargaining committees and may participate as a member of the bargaining team. Maintains an accurate record of proceedings including proposals, costing and other information. Reviews and revises minutes for accuracy and distributes to relevant parties.
- Collects and provides clear, detailed and relevant information to the bargaining team. Compiles, manipulates and evaluates simple bargaining and costing data and may develop costing methodology for routine bargaining proposals.
- Under direction, prepares employer proposals and Memoranda of Agreement from verbal instruction, handwritten notes, and electronic documents; interprets instructions and ensures the correct intent and consistency throughout documents. Identifies and clarifies apparent discrepancies and consults bargaining team members for missing information or direction.
- Makes amendments to documents at the bargaining table efficiently and accurately under significant time constraints.
- Prepares collective agreements following the conclusion of bargaining. Identifies areas requiring additional information and ensures the appropriate information or clarification is obtained; tracks and follows up on outstanding questions.
- Prioritizes numerous tasks to complete work within specified timeframes. Prioritizes work based on the bargaining schedule and ratification dates. Collaborates with other staff to ensure deadlines are met.
- Supports the development of common procedures and materials and ensures information remains current. Carries out record management activities for the Collective Bargaining Division. Conducts research and gathers information and resources on specified topics; provides input for special projects.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To be successful, you have:
- 2-3 years of recent, related experience supplemented by a university degree or diploma in a relevant discipline such as human resources or business; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Previous experience coordinating or supporting collective bargaining is an asset.
- Designation as a Certified Human Resources Professional is an asset.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation such as the Labour Relations Code, Employment Standards and the Human Rights Code.
- Demonstrated knowledge of labour relations principles especially as they pertain to collective bargaining processes, research and preparation.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate the compilation of information from a variety of sources. Demonstrated ability to track revisions and approvals for complex and detailed contractual documents.
- Numerical aptitude and demonstrated ability to analyze, compile and manipulate data.
- Ability to use judgment to evaluate, research and resolve problems within established guidelines and procedures and determine which methods are applicable in any given situation.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively listen, and support the resolution of problems. Demonstrated writing skills and ability to draft complex documents from verbal instruction, handwritten notes and or electronic documents.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain effective and respectful working relationships; applies team effectiveness skills and contributes to the achievement of team goals.
- Skill in dealing tactfully and sensitively in a variety of situations including exercising substantial discretion with highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize tasks to meet multiple time based deliverables requiring a high level of detail and accuracy; persistent in overcoming obstacles.
- Proficiency using Microsoft office programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and being representative of the region we serve. We invite all qualified candidates to apply including Indigenous People, visible minorities, immigrants, 2SLGBTQI+, all genders and persons with disabilities.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by June 28, 2023.