Location: Abbotsford Parks, Recreation, and Culture Facilities
Hours: Dependent on program registration, approximately 6hrs/wk
Start Date: Hiring is ongoing based on program requirements. The term of each contract is approximately 6 months with the possibility of extension/renewal
We are looking for creative and enthusiastic individuals with a keen interest in skating, and passion for teaching all ages. A background in skating instruction or coaching is preferred; however, applicants with great potential can enroll in a Recreational Skating Instructor Course.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be responsible for planning, implementing and teaching skating lessons for all ages, preschool, children and adults. Assessing and completing skating evaluations, providing support to other team members and ensuring that their activity areas and equipment are safe. The candidate is able to provide outstanding customer service to our participants. The successful candidates will have an opportunity to work at three of the City’s recreation facilities (Matsqui Recreation Centre, Abbotsford Recreation Centre, MSA Arena).
- Previous skating instruction or coaching experience
- Customer service is an asset
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a culturally diverse community setting
- Demonstrated effective communication skills
- Standard First Aid and CPR C with AED certification or higher
- Completion of CanSkate Instructor course or coaching certificate would be an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of skating instruction techniques and skill progressions
- Considerable knowledge of hazards, related precautions and safety regulations related to this work
- Some knowledge of the operation of an ice rink facility
- Knowledge of the City of Abbotsford Learn to Skate program is an asset
- Ability to assess and evaluate participants skating skill proficiency and to maintain related class records
- Ability to motivate students and provide a positive, safe, fun learning environment
- Ability to establish and maintain a healthy working relationship with staff and patrons
- Ability to work effectively, multitask and prioritize
The candidate/incumbent is required to provide a satisfactory criminal record check in order to work in this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
It is the responsibility of the candidate to report to their supervisor if any criminal charges are laid against them during their term in this position.
Business Department: Abbotsford Parks, Recreation and Culture
Employment Type: Contract
Closing date: August 14, 2023
The rate of pay is $20.00 per hour plus an additional 4% in lieu of vacation.