Manager, Accounting Advisory
Employee Status: Regular
Bargaining Unit: Non-Union
Pay Range: $115,263 – $158,230
Location: 20 Bay Street, Toronto
Closing Date: 27-Jun-2023
Metrolinx is connecting communities across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Metrolinx operates GO Transit and UP Express, as well as the PRESTO fare payment system. We are also building new and improved rapid transit, including GO Expansion, Light Rail Transit routes, and major expansions to Toronto’s subway system, to get people where they need to go, better, faster and easier. Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario.
At Metrolinx, equity, diversity and inclusion are essential to living our values of serving with passion, thinking forward and playing as a team.
Our Accounting Policy and Advisory Office is looking for a Manager, Accounting Advisory to further develop the Accounting Advisory centre of excellence within the Corporate Controller’s team. This role provides leadership and oversight for technical accounting guidance and support to stakeholders as the subject matter expert in accounting standards. This role leads the consolidation of accounting risks and opportunities for reporting purposes.
The Manager, Accounting Advisory provides guidance, accounting considerations and prepares formal assessments for accounting questions, complex accounting issues, commercial agreements, and Investment Panel and Treasury Board submissions. This role focuses on complex, material and/or unique accounting issues; providing support and guiding business partners with the accounting and reporting implications of transactions while ensuring compliance with accounting standards and policies.
What will I be doing?
- Provides accounting policy and financial reporting support and advice on Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) standards and interprets accounting standards during the preparation and review of Treasury Board and Investment Panel submissions to provide guidance and accounting assessments.
- Provides accounting guidance for challenging business scenarios. Prepares and presents formal papers and memos on complex and material accounting issues outlining Metrolinx’s accounting position and guidance to stakeholders including business units, capital project teams, senior management team, external auditors, Ministry of Transportation (MTO), Ontario Provincial Controller’s Division (OPCD) and the Auditor General.
- Leads all activities relating to complex accounting issues and liaises with internal stakeholders, senior management team, Internal Audit, External Audit, Ministry of Transportation and the Office of the Auditor General.
- Acts as primary contact from accounting advisory team to embedded finance teams and business units, including but not limited to, capital finance, capital projects group, capital cost accounting, real estate, investment panel, marketing, commercial, planning and development, operations, safety, legal, I&IT, Payments (PRESTO), and rapid transit operations.
- Provides direct support for successful commercial negotiations enabling the overall success and delivery of Metrolinx capital program by providing feedback on draft agreements and considerations on commercial structures.
- Leads the promotion of the consistent application of government wide accounting policies and reporting standards to ensure the integrity of financial information in Metrolinx’s financial statements.
- Provides accounting policy and financial reporting support and advice based on PSAS, interprets accounting policies during the preparation and review of agreements and submissions to Treasury Board and Investment Panel.
- Acts as the subject matter expert in providing consultation, advice, and day-to-day guidance regarding technical accounting.
- As required, manages a professional team of accountants to provide accounting advisory and complex accounting support.
- Based on team workload and priorities, as needed, works on projects on behalf of team members on accounting advisory and policy.
What Skills and Qualifications Do I Need?
- Completion of a University degree in Accounting, Finance, Commerce or Business.
- Minimum eight (8) years of progressive experience in accounting advisory, financial reporting and/or external auditing, preferably within a transit environment, public sector, or a large public accounting firm.
- Accounting Designation is required – CPA, CA, CMA or equivalent.
- Extensive knowledge and interpretation of accounting and financial reporting principles and standards under public sector accounting standards (preferred) or comparable standards (e.g., International Financial Reporting Standards) and ability to assess the impact of decisions/initiatives on financial statements.
- Diplomacy, negotiation, and persuasion skills to communicate accounting advice and guidance.
- Leadership and management skills to manage and motivate a team/unit as well as cross functional teams and set high standards and clear expectations.
- Effective written, oral, presentation and interpersonal skills to articulate and present advice, options and recommendations to senior management, executives, internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience leading transformational change, risk management and assessment initiatives to adapt to new or changing requirements throughout the organization, reflecting on lessons learned to analyze, evaluate, and define problems/challenges, identify alternatives, and make timely decisions to manage risk and address issues.
- Knowledge of project management principles and practices to coordinate multiple projects.
Don’t Meet Every Requirement?
If you’re excited about working with Metrolinx but your past experience doesn’t quite align with every qualification of this posting, we encourage you to apply. You just might be the right candidate for this or other roles. We are always looking for great talent to join our team.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from members of equity-deserving communities, including those who identify as Indigenous, Black, racialized, women, people with disabilities, and people with diverse gender identities, expressions and sexual orientations.
We value the unique skills and experiences each person brings to Metrolinx and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment. We are committed to the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act so if you require accommodation during the hiring process, please let our Recruitment team know by contacting us at: 416-202-5601 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Metrolinx will be using email to communicate with you for all job competitions. It is your responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence, we recommend that you check your email regularly. If no response is received, we will assume you are no longer interested in pursuing the opportunity. Please be advised that a Criminal Record Check may be required of the successful candidate. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume online through the Current Opportunities page.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WE ARE AN EQUITABLE AND INCLUSIVE EMPLOYER.