School District No. 42 (Maple Ridge-Pitt Meadows)
Manager, Employment Services
THE ORGANIZATION: MAPLE RIDGE – PITT MEADOWS SCHOOL DISTRICT
School District No. 42 meets the learning needs of over 16,000 students of all ages in Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows, and is defined by its determination to keep student learning and growth at the heart of all its decisions. With an annual budget of over $200M and over 2,000 staff, the school district provides K-12 educational services in 22 elementary schools, six secondary schools, and two alternate schools. It also provides a variety of certificate programs and relevant quality life-long learning opportunities through Ridge Meadows College and Continuing Education. For more information about our school district, visit www.sd42.ca.
THE OPPORTUNITY: MANAGER, EMPLOYMENT SERVICES
Reporting to the Director, Human Resources and the District Principal, Human Resources, the Manager, Employment Services as a member of the Human Resources leadership team, will build and grow School District No. 42’s talent program through the development and implementation best practice programs for sourcing, recruitment, selection, and employment of staff.
- Develop and implement an overall recruitment strategy for the School District. With a lens of best practice, lead the development and implementation of attraction, recruitment, and selection processes in consultation with the hiring supervisor. This includes:
- review of the job description to capture any updates for the position,
- develop advertising campaigns and candidate sourcing streams, engaging in the services of BCPSEA’s Make a Future division as required,
- engage and assign work to casual Project Consultants to assist with the recruitment function during peak recruitment periods, develop interview questions and any applicable candidate assessments/skill testing necessary,
- facilitate the screening and shortlisting process to identify qualified applicants; liaising with the HR Assistant to conduct applicable candidate assessments/testing,
- coordinate and facilitate interviews with the hiring supervisor and/or interview panel members,
- conduct background/reference checks and provides feedback to the hiring supervisor and confirm hiring decision,
- present offer of employment to the successful candidate verbally and in writing; liaise with the Human Resources Administrator where employment contracts are required,
- ensure that recruitment documentation is completed, and that all information is retained in competition files.
- In consultation with the Director, Human Resources, lead the development, implementation and maintenance of best practice human resource policies, specifically in the areas of recruitment, selection, and staffing guided by the School District’s overall recruitment and retention strategy.
- Monitor staffing levels and conduct staffing needs assessments on a regular basis. Analyze data including any leave or resignation trends to ensure sufficient staffing levels are maintained and hiring needs are addressed in a timely manner. Maintain ongoing communication with dispatch to ensure timely information flow.
- Manage and direct the work of the Dispatch Coordinators including:
- recruitment, selection and hiring of Dispatch Coordinators, complying with applicable collective agreement provisions,
- provide orientation, coaching, training and mentoring,
- authorize time sheets and leave requests,
- manage employment matters such as employee misconduct, performance management, attendance management, wellness support, gradual return to work activities and duty to accommodate,
- provide informal performance feedback, develop employee work plans, and conduct performance reviews and development of performance improvement plans,
- interpret and apply applicable collective agreements language; participate in the grievance and arbitration process.
- Develop and maintain a variety of creative candidate sourcing streams to source qualified applicants. Solicit input from supervisors and peers for other avenues to source specialized talent for general and difficult to fill vacancies.
- Represent the School District at career fairs, hiring sessions for new graduates and recruitment information sessions. Develop presentations and any related materials for recruitment related events. Establish and maintain long-term working relationships with post-secondary institutes such as colleges and universities and coordinate practicum placement opportunities throughout the School District to promote a positive experience for the students, sharing work opportunities available to them. Coordinate School District hiring orientation sessions for new graduates and practicum students.
- Coordinate and conduct training for excluded management on attraction, recruitment, and selection best practices for both external and internal recruitment. Participate on internal recruitment panels where necessary. In a group or one-on-one setting, coach supervisors in understanding the application of Human Resource policies and procedures, Human Rights Code, Employment Standards Legislation, Pay Transparency Act and any other applicable legislation as it relates to the recruitment and selection process.
- Continuously and actively seek out opportunities to improve upon or update School District recruitment practices. Maintain currency with best practices for attraction, recruitment, and selection processes.
- Lead, from a user perspective, software implementation for dispatch and onboarding in HRIS or other programs.
- Assist the District Principal of Human Resources and/or the Director, Human Resources in the research and analysis of historical human resources activities or data (e.g., grievance complaints, collective agreement negotiations history, and matters pertaining to disciplinary action, etc.).
- Participate in the development of the Human Resources Operational plan and engage in the development or revision and implementation of related activities.
- Prepare a variety of reports for the Director, Human Resources, District Principal, Human Resources, and/or Senior Manager, Human Resources as requested.
- Performs other related duties as assigned while ensuring alignment with departmental goals and objectives.
- A post-secondary degree in Human Resources or a related program. CPHR designation preferred.
- A minimum of five to seven years’ human resources experience directly related to innovative attraction, recruitment, and selection processes in a unionized environment; experience within the education sector is an asset.
- Demonstrated success in progressive leadership roles combined with previous supervisory experience.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of HR best practices and relevant collective agreements and legislation including BC Employment Standards, Pay Transparency Act, and the Human Rights Code.
- Proven project management skills and the ability to successfully deliver/execute initiatives, programs, and/or policies.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain lasting relationships with a broad range of external organizations, stakeholders, and staff. Strong negotiation skills.
- Superior communication, interpersonal and management skills with effective problem-solving, conflict resolution and decision- making skills. Ability to work in a manner that is flexible, sensitive, with tact and compassion. Proven ability to exercise sound judgment, as well as to actively and objectively listen and understand information presented.
- Experience conducting research, analyzing results, and writing reports that include recommendations for evidence-informed human resource matters.
- Excellent organization, prioritization, and documentation management skills.
- Strong proficiency with a variety of software programs including MS Office and knowledge of Human Resource Information Systems.
- Ability to perform functions of the position both independently and participate effectively within a highly cohesive team environment.
- Valid BC Driver’s License.
The salary range for this position is $84,730-105,913 plus an excellent benefits package.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 14, 2023.