Manager, Land & Building Services
Status of Position
Permanent Full Time
Job posting closes: June 30, 2023 at 5:00pm Yukon Standard Time
An Eligibility List may be established from this competition – the duration of the eligibility list may be up to 12 months. The eligibility list may be used to fill future permanent full-time, permanent part-time, temporary full-time, temporary part- time, term or casual vacancies within the same department and classification based on the organizational needs by going to the next highest ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires.
The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
Manager, Land & Building Services
Job Code: 246
Department: Land & Building Services Job Summary:
The incumbent manages, plans, coordinates and evaluates land management and building services activities to ensure timely delivery for the City.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the daily activities of the department including application and enforcement of various regulations (i.e. Zoning, Subdivision Control, Building & Plumbing, Building and Plumbing Bylaw, etc.); and customer service functions including processing of development/building permit applications, associated filing and tracking systems
- Collaborate and negotiate with other governments and major developers and coordinate input as Chair of Development Review Committee.
- Manage and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders regarding subdivision and disposition of lands created through the Yukon Government/City Land Development Protocol and related agreements. Work closely with the Planning and Sustainability department on shared and overlapping activities.
- Manage and provide leadership in all human resource areas, including recruitment, safety, and performance management consistent with collective agreements and city policies.
- Undertake major studies and develop strategies, directives, policies and procedures to advance land management, zoning enforcement and building inspection services.
- Ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that safety procedures and standards are followed by staff throughout the department.
- Prepare and control the department’s annual Capital and Operation and Maintenance budgets.
- Collaborate with the Procurement office to develop and evaluate procurement documents (tenders, proposal calls, etc.)
- Act as Director, Development Services as assigned.
- Other related duties.
This description contains the elements necessary for the identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Majority of the work is performed under normal office conditions. Frequent evening and weekend work.
Knowledge and Skills:
Degree related discipline including Urban and/or Regional Planning.
Minimum eight years progressive, related experience, four of which have been in a supervisory or management level. Excellent management track record with specific accomplishments in directing budgets and strategic planning and to provide effective recommendations as a member of the management team.
Excellent organizational skills, prioritizing and ability to multitask with minimal supervision.
Excellent skills relating to communications, team building, liaise with stakeholders, human relations, strategic operational and financial planning, and problem solving.
Proven written and oral communication skills to develop and present reports, position papers and proposals. Ability to foster and maintain effective relationships among peers and/or stakeholders.
Class 5 driver’s license.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
General office equipment including computer skills to operate software programs related to word processing, spreadsheet, electronic mail, etc.
To Be Considered
The Manager, Land and Building Services recruitment will be handled through KasaHR Consulting. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible by forwarding their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have not heard back from KasaHR Consulting within a week of submission of your application, please don’t hesitate to contact them for an update. To be considered for the role, applicants are requested to provide us with a cover letter and resume. In the cover letter, we want to hear from you – why you are interested in the role and what unique skillsets and experiences you bring to the role.
Management and Confidential Exclusion Bylaw
$63.98 – $79.69 per hour
Hours Per Week
5 X 7.5 Hours
Guaranteed Minimum Hours
Start Date of Position
End Date (Temporary and Term)
Number of Hires Needed