City of Port Alberni
Manager of Community Safety and Social Development
The City of Port Alberni is a community of over 18,000 people. Located centrally on Vancouver Island, we are a well-serviced and growing municipality that offers residents affordable west coast living, as well as proximity to oceans, lakes, rivers and mountains.
The City of Port Alberni is currently looking for a Manager of Community Safety and Social Development to join a progressive and dynamic organization that provides a full range of programs and services to taxpayers. Reporting to the Director of Corporate Services, this position is responsible for the administration and enhancement of public safety and social development, and provides leadership to bylaw services and community policing.
- Oversees the coordination of bylaw enforcement and community social development priorities and plans
- Provides leadership and strategic direction on community safety-related initiatives
- Organizes, plans, directs and coordinates the operations of the bylaw services department, including the supervision of staff
- Provides direction, oversight and support to community policing operations
- Develops and maintains positive and collaborative relationships between agencies, organizations, the community and internal departments; liaises with external agencies focused on health and social issues
- Develops and manages annual departmental operating budgets
Qualifications & Experience:
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in administration or bylaw enforcement with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in a supervisory role overseeing enforcement activities, in addition to post-secondary education in a related discipline. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Proven ability to effectively address complex community safety and social development issues, and to manage and coordinate special initiatives and projects.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to prepare and present reports.
- Proven ability to appropriately resolve issues, disputes and public complaints, both internally and externally.
- Valid BC Class 5 driver’s license.
This is an exempt position. A competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package are offered; in addition, this position works a flex schedule. Interested candidates may apply by sending a resume and cover letter by 4:30 pm on July 21, 2023:
Attention: Human Resources
By mail: City of Port Alberni, 4850 Argyle Street, Port Alberni, BC V9Y 1V8
By email: email@example.com
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected to be interviewed will be contacted.