Manager of Operations
Manager of Operations – Permanent, Full- Time (Exempt)
RATE OF PAY:
$89,000 to $94,000 per annum (Commensurate with experience and qualification)
HOURS OF WORK:
Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM (37.5 hours/week)
June 23, 2023
July 21, 2023
Comprehensive benefits package, including a municipal pension plan;
Flexible work schedule, and banked time in lieu;
Relocation expense reimbursement for the right candidate; Rental housing available.
Ucluelet, on the west coast of Canada, is a place of spectacular rugged beauty. The wild coastlines offer endless opportunities for adventure. Whether you enjoy beach combing, storm watching, surfing, kayaking, hiking, or fishing, Ucluelet offers something for everyone. Settle into the slow, stress-free lifestyle of this unique Canadian paradise.
The District of Ucluelet is offering a unique opportunity for a qualified candidate interested in the role of Manager of Operations. Reporting to the Director of Engineering Services, this position will be responsible for leading the day-to-day functions of the Operations Department, which includes the Parks and Public Works divisions. The department has 12 full time employees including a dedicated public works foreperson and parks foreperson which will report directly to the Operations Manager.
The Operation’s portfolio includes municipal water, wastewater and storm systems, facilities, roads and sidewalks, fleet, all municipal parks, playgrounds, sports fields, trails and pathways. The Manager is a leadership role that provides excellent communication, sound fiscal responsibility, and ensures the municipality is well built, maintained to a state of good repair, and that the department is delivering safe, reliable, and responsive operational services.
- Provides an experienced and technical level of knowledge to support the team in the operations and upkeep of the municipal water distribution, water treatment, wastewater treatment, storm water collection, buildings, facilities, roads, sidewalks, streetlights, buildings, fleet parks, playgrounds, sports fields, landscaping, beautification, trails and pathways;
- Provides leadership to develop and retain highly competent, customer service-oriented team members through selection, compensation, training, and day-to-day best management practices which support the District’s missions andvalues;
- Responsible for the creation, advancement, and oversight of the District’s maintenance program by using Citywide to manage maintenance schedules, maintenance routines and the completion of work requests;
- Works with the Recreation department to provide support for special events and program operations as required;
- Leads by example with their communication style by responding to all communications in a timely, courteous, and professional manner and promotes the development of communication standards within the Parks & Public Worksteam;
- Ensures compliance within the Operations Department by following all Occupational Health and Safety protocols and maintains an active leadership role in the District’s OH&S program;
- Works collaboratively with other departments on the planning and implementation of capital projects;
- Maintains a leadership role in the review and design for major capital works related to the Public Works and Parks departments areas of responsibility;
- Assists the Director to plan, organize, control, and evaluate the work of the Operations Department to ensure that municipal street infrastructure, water systems, sewerage, drainage systems, streetlights, facilities, all fleet, municipal parks infrastructure, playgrounds, pathways, trails and sports fields are inspected regularly and operated in a safe and efficient manner;
- Establishes and maintains co-operative and effective cross-functional working relationships with other department directors, managers and staff, consultants, contractors, utility companies, federal, provincial, and local government agencies, and the public to support the achievement of Districtgoals;
- Advances the municipalities development services practices by providing industry best practice and procedure creation which ensures the municipality is constructed to a widely recognized standard;
- Assist in the development and oversight of municipal capital projects;
- Other duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven people leadership skills with the ability to engage and motivate a diverse team;
- An expert in the areas municipal water distribution, water treatment, wastewater treatment, storm water collection, facilities, roads, sidewalks, streetlights and fleet;
- Knowledgeable in the areas of green spaces, parks, trails, playground equipment, horticulture, and boulevards;
- Demonstrates a safety mindset and ability to foster a safety culture;
- Demonstrate critical thinking and sound professional judgement when solving complex issues, managing resources and budget;
- Proficient computer skills including experience with Microsoft Office suite, GIS, databases and other software to produce a variety of charts and reports, tracking, analysis and statistics.
- A degree, diploma or trade from a recognized post-secondary institution related to the disciplines of public works and parks; or
- An equivalent combination of experience, education and training may be considered; and,
- 7-10 years of progressive leadership/management experience preferably in a local government setting;
- Preference may be given to candidates with successful completion of Level 2 of the Public Works Supervisor Program from the Canadian Public Works Association of British Columbia as well as the completion of Environmental Operator’s Certification Program;
- Preference will be given to candidates with horticulture training and experience;
- A valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License;
- The successful applicant will be required to provide criminal record clearance as a condition of employment.
Qualified applicants may apply by sending your resume and cover letter including references to:
Samantha McCullough, Manager of Human Resources & Communications- firstname.lastname@example.org
District of Ucluelet, Box 999, 200 Main Street, Ucluelet, BC V0R 3A0
The District of Ucluelet wishes to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.