One of the sunniest regions in BC’s Lower Mainland, Delta embraces three unique communities – Ladner, North Delta and Tsawwassen. The City of Delta is looking for dedicated individuals to join our team and share in our commitment to lead the way in public service excellence.
City of Delta
Manager of Strategic Initiatives – Community Planning
If you are an enthusiastic, driven, relational, and business-oriented individual with great communication skills, this opportunity is for you! This position is based in the City of Delta’s Community Planning Department, reporting to the Director of Community Planning. Working with the Director and a small team of professional planners, the Manager of Strategic Initiatives will lead high-priority projects that advance City Council priorities, through collaboration with external stakeholders and staff in other City departments including Development, Communications, Engineering, Corporate Services, Finance, and Parks, Recreation and Culture.
The portfolio of work includes major planning projects (e.g. Ladner Waterfront Revitalization or other similar initiatives), and various projects to modernize Delta’s planning-related bylaws, plans, and policies. This work may include topics such as development finance, development application streamlining, regulatory bylaw updates, mobility and accessibility planning, and strategic projects assigned through the City Manager’s office. The successful candidate may also contribute to the team’s wider work plan to implement Delta’s Housing Action Plan and to renew the growth and development framework through a Housing Choices program, strategic Official Community Plan and neighbourhood plan updates, and Zoning Bylaw updates.
We are looking for a talented individual who is well-versed in local government business and decision-making processes, who is a strong communicator, and who is ready to lead and deliver projects that shape the next generation of development in Delta.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ethic of service to the community and to the staff team;
- Demonstrated communication and presentation skills with the ability to explain complex issues to stakeholders.
- Exceptional knowledge of appropriate legislation and policy/bylaw tools to shape the growth and development of the City;
- Ability to manage multiple projects to meet required objectives and deadlines;
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and tools of local area community and city planning combined with direct experience at the local government level;
- Demonstrated ability to create effective policies, procedures, and bylaws; and,
- Demonstrated ability to establish positive and effective working relationships with others.
- Master’s Degree in Urban Planning, Public Policy, or Public Administration, or a combination of similar related experience and/or education;
- Minimum 10+ years experience in a project leadership role in community planning and project delivery;
- A valid Class 5 BC driver’s license.
Membership or eligibility for membership with the Canadian Institute of Planners is desirable, although a combination of relevant experience and the ability to apply for Candidate Membership may be considered.
The City of Delta provides a competitive annual salary of $103,148 – $123,006 (commensurate with experience); and an excellent benefits package including Municipal Pension Plan as well as an earned-days-off system. Interested applicants are requested to apply online at www.delta.ca/employment, to competition number #23-142 EX by July 16, 2023.
The City of Delta’s Covid-19 Vaccination Policy has been suspended, however, we reserve the right to reinstate it in response to changes in the public health landscape, including public health orders. We are committed to the protection, health, and safety of our employees and our community, and our Communicable Disease Plan and related protocols remain in place.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those under consideration will be contacted.
Copies of relevant professional certificates, degrees, or tickets must be submitted with your application.
Preferred candidates will be required to submit a Police Information Check.